Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

I've got wood

henapplehenapple Posts: 14,564
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Prime rib. Hickory, oak ....?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,788
    hahaha - what a masculine title.

Personally, I don't care for a smokey flavor in my standing rib roasts - I think it distracts from the lovely roast beef flavor.  I do like smoke for most everything else.  I think the mild smokiness from the lump is sufficient.  I'm sure other people will disagree.  I can't recall seeing "smoked prime rib" on a menu before either, not that there isn't anywhere....

·
  • Nola,

You always reduce to the lowest common denominator

=))
    ·
    thanks....stike gave me grief for being too wordy a couple of times :)

·
  • wordy or woody?
    ·
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 566

Blue Smoke in NYC at least used to do a Smoked Prime Rib as a Friday or Saturday night special .. I've had it .. it's very good.  That said, I agree with Nola - keep it to a minimum.  I would use maybe just a couple chunks and I would steer away from hickory, oak or nut woods. I would lean towards Apple and other fruit woods or maybe even Alder.

·

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,564
    I might just go with no chips. Doing my first tomorrow...can't wait.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Cherry is a good flavor with prime rib or any beef.
    Evans, GA - 250 Reverse Flow (trailer), Large BGE, custom built cedar table (by me). When in doubt, smoke it.
    ·
  • It would be a costly experiment to try it with a rib roast if it did not work out. I would probably not try it just because of that - what if it did not turn out.....The mesquite was great on the prime rib steaks though.
    LBGE
    ·
  • This post title needs to be included in the "Suggestive Post Title" thread ;-D
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
    ·
  • A worthy contribution.  I will have to work harder now.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·