Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fat side up or down?

Options
Knox
Knox Posts: 6
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

Looking to smoke a brisket this weekend & heard different opinions as to which side to put up.  I've been of the school of thought fat side up would provide the best flavor. 

Comments

• RocEGG
    Options
    That is the eternal question. I am sure you will get a ton of different opinions. I was always of the fat side up crowd too. Last time, based upon feedback on the forum, I did it fat side down and it was just as good. I think it is so fatty anyway that you don't need it to baste itself. I think that either way is good. Probably gonna have to try it both ways to find out what you likes best!
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    i used to do fat side up but read somewhere on here that they do it fat side down so if anything sticks its fat not the meat made sense and i've noticed no difference . So regardless now everything goes fat side down    
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • RandallB
    Options
    Fat side down.  Makes a pretty smoke ring on top!
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Doesn't matter.  That discussion originated with the offset smokers, where a fire from the firebox could get near the meat.  Fat side down supposedly would protect the meat from the flames.  Fat side up was supposed to baste the meat with the fat.  On the BGE, it doesn't matter.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Damn you GRAVITY!!!  Without you, we'd NEVER have this endless deliberation!!! 
    :-O
    Damn you GRAVITY!!!  Without you, we'd NEVER have this endless deliberation!!! 
    :-O
    Gravity is not just a good idea..... it's the law.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    “Gravity is one of the Six Fundamental Forces of the Universe, with the other five being Magnetism, Duct Tape, Whining, Remote Control, and The Force That Pulls Dogs Toward The Groins Of Strangers."
    How about just try each way and see what ya like...
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    “Gravity is one of the Six Fundamental Forces of the Universe, with the other five being Magnetism, Duct Tape, Whining, Remote Control, and The Force That Pulls Dogs Toward The Groins Of Strangers."

:))

Dripping Springs, Texas.