Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Season before or after the sear ?

fairchase
fairchase Posts: 312
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Whats your preference ?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    salt only because it doesn't burn.  Unless I'm blackening.
    I've done it both ways and prefer after, except as Nolaegghead suggest, kosher salt just before. When after just need to make sure the seasoning does not have large junks, like coarse pepper.  Might not be enough time when roasting to internal doneness to disolve the chunky spices.  Nothing worse than biting into pepper chunks when trying to enjoy a great steak.....

Some spices don't do well with high sear temps.  I can't keep it straight which spices, so easiest to do the seasoning after the sear. 

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Good point tjv - nothing worse than dry spice on food.  That's actually a faux pas in some circles. 

I suppose it really also depends on what temp you sear at, how long and how hot.  Sugars will caramelize with heat (tastes good) before they burn (yuck).  Blackening spices include thyme, oregano, black/white peppers, paprika, garlic. 

I think if you lightly oil the meat, then spice, the oil will cool down the spices (oil boils and limits the temp of the spices).  If you're searing at surface-of-the-sun temperatures, I'd stick with salt only.
    I always use sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and put it on about an hour before I sear. I sear at 600 for about 90 seconds.