Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting ready to pull the trigger...

jrf316
jrf316 Posts: 55
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
But few questions on making first brisket:
  1. how much lump do i use?  i have a large.
  2. will it last how ever many hours i need?
  3. if not how do i go about adding more lump?

been egging now for about 3 mos.  but have just stuck with chicken, ribs and fish.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Visca Barca
Mes Que Un Club

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    when i do a over nighter i load it to the top of the fire ring just enough room where its not touching
    the PS . My thinking is no worries about running out and i'll only use it up on the next few high temp cooks anyway  
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

bigphil said:
    when i do a over nighter i load it to the top of the fire ring just enough room where its not touching
    the PS . My thinking is no worries about running out and i'll only use it up on the next few high temp cooks anyway  
    +1

Also, clean it out well before loading it up so you don't have to worry about old ash inhibiting air flow.  I can get at least 12 pounds of lump in there and if that doesn't cook a brisket with enough left over to cook some steaks, something's wrong.  Burn time depends on the lump, ambient temp and the dome temp you stabilize on.  At 250, you should be able to go at least 24 hours, maybe as long as 30.
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I cooked 2 butts followed by BB ribs followed by dutch oven no-knead bread and had enough left over for chicken a couple of days later.
    Mes Que Un Club