Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does grilling contribute to cancer?

FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
edited September 2012 in Off Topic
So someone told me the other day that grilling can contribute or cause cancer. So I decided to look online and there are tons of reputable sites that say grilling can create carcinogen that can create cancer. Anyone heard of this? I'm not going to stop grilling, and I assume that it causes it contributes in a very very small amount. Hoping someone on here can elaborate or explain more what exactly happens.
Boom

Comments

• If true then I'm already dead.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I remember when threads about that started popping up. I never paid much attention to them because I'm not going to stop.

Can't member what comedian originally said this, or even if it was a comedian, but "Studies show that tests cause cancer."

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• What doesn't cause cancer these days?

I've been hearing it for years.  I haven't read any specifics on it, but I would think that if you are burning clean you should be ok for the most part.  I would think that they heavier the smoke the more "contaminated" your food would be.  That's just my thoughts. No real scientific data.

I'm not going to stop either.  
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • the evidence says It does. There is also evidence that marinating in liquid before the cook basically  negates the carcinogens created by charcoal grilling.

I've known about it for years............never stopped, never will

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Not yet.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Plenty of stuff that says it does.... But as mentioned above, what doesn't "cause" cancer these days.

XLBGE 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    its really bad, grilled foods cause cancer, sitting in the sun grilling foods causes cancer, drinking an adult beverage while sitting in the sun grilling food causes cancer. its better to stay indoors out of the sun eating lettuce and cantaloupe and die from food poisoning
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Have had this bookmarked, when this topic comes up, always makes me feel good. One pager, worth the read. (If you don't like the possible conclusion, wisely choose your source)

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2012

HCAs and PAHs are bad.

Other than marinating as mentioned, here are some other ways to reduce them if concerned.

1.  Cook at a lower temp

2.  Cook indirect (char has high HCAs and meat drippings that burn release PAHs in the smoke that adhere to the meat)

3.  Do not overcook meats (higher HCAs)

4.  Grill veggies and fruits (no HCAs)

5.  Decrease red meat consumption

6.  Use leaner cuts (less drippings = less PAHs)

Lastly and most importantly, get checked if you are at the proper age (colonoscopy).  Regardless if you're an avid griller.

Get those polyps removed early.

I'd be more alert if one had a genetic history to any type of GI cancer.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited September 2012
    well, according to the article that Skiddymarker posted, the PCAs occur from the charring, and HCAs occur in meat naturally.  So basically, you can cook your meat in the oven or on the stove & decrease your PCAs, but because you're still eating meat, you're still geting HCAs anyway. 

Then there's the mercury in fish, the ecoli in meats & veggies (spinach, etc), the liver damage from the adult beverages we consume while using the Egg, the cigars / cigarettes many of you smoke... oh, and let's not forget the electro-magnetic frequency generated by your cellphone which you hold right next to your brain... and then there's the bombardment of your food w/ micro wave frequency (when cooking in a microwave).... the carcinogens in smog / smoke / exhaust, the electro-magnetic frequencies bombarding you from your TVs, computers, electric blankets, electric razors / toothbrushes / drills, etc.  ETC... ETC... ETC...

Methinks I'll just go live in a bubble (though, later it'll probably come out that the material the bubble was made out of causes cancer) =))
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Hillbilly-Hightech says "Methinks I'll just go live in a bubble (though, later it'll probably come out that the material the bubble was made out of causes cancer)"

PURRFECT, just PURRFECT Made me laugh - Thanks!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Great Article...Still not going to cut off the best parts of the cook!
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!
  • I think everything gives you cancer, sunlight, darkness, eating, not eating, beer, wine, not consuming beer or wine, coffee, tea, breathing......

Just do everything in moderation and you'll have as good a chance as the next guy to stay healthy.

Gerhard
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Living is the leading cause of death.  Make it count and damn the PAHs and HCAs!
  • A lot of the stuff listed here (charring is what has the carcinogen, marinade and/or baking negates, over cooking increases, etc) is what most of the sites said. None implied you will get cancer just that you get carcinogens from grilling and that carcinogens can lead to cancer. I figured was negligible in vast majority of the population. I gotta imagine worst case is someone who is predisposed (is that possible?) to get cancer is the person who would want to avoid charring their food more than the rest if the population.
    Boom
  • Have had this bookmarked, when this topic comes up, always makes me feel good. One pager, worth the read. (If you don't like the possible conclusion, wisely choose your source)

What is said here is basically exactly what every single site I read says too. They all had same disclosure, same info, etc. and they all basically said no one really knows to what level it impacts your possibility to get cancer would be. Could be a fraction of 1%. No one knows at this point.
    Boom
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    I always thought that beer was the antidote. No?
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • At my age, who cares ?  Beats cirrhosis, methinks.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Living is the leading cause of death.  Make it count and damn the PAHs and HCAs!

Amen! Live life to the fullest. When my maker is ready for me, he'll take me.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • The way she avoids it at all cost, my wife must think sex causes cancer.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    probe1957 said:
    The way she avoids it at all cost, my wife must think sex causes cancer.

=))

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    probe1957 said:
    The way she avoids it at all cost, my wife must think sex causes cancer.
    That is so funny.
    =))

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• If BBQ is wrong, I don't wanna be right!

Probe, sorry to hear you misplace your sheath regularly.

Flint, Michigan
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    Breathing causes cancer.  But I'm not gonna stop that either.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    i hear plenty of kentucky jelly helps reduce the risk so i think i'll just keep grilling and be happy 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.