Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Full ribeye primal or sub-primal cooking recommendations?

Options
CigarMan
CigarMan Posts: 27
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Have about 10 or so people over next Saturday and was going to pick up a full Ribeye primal or sub-primal depending on what's in stock. Not enough time to dry age them, so I'm going to season the whole thing up to cook all at once. Not going to cut into steaks. Just to clarify, I'm talking traditional style ribeye steak that you would receive at a fine steakhouse when you order the ribeye, NOT what you get when you order the prime rib, lol.

Anyways, those who have cooked a full roast, how do you recommend doing so? Searing all sides first, then indirect until medium rare? If so, what indirect temp? Go indirect with some smoking wood, then sear at the end? I've searched all over, but almost everything that I come up with is people cutting the whole ribeye primal down into individual steaks, or cooking full prime rib style roasts.

Thanks!

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I'm confused. You say, "not going to cut into steaks", then you say "traditional style ribeye steak"

How are you going to have traditional style ribeye steaks, if you don't cut into steaks?
  • CigarMan
    Options
    Dugan, I'm cutting it into steaks when it's done. :) Sorry for the confusion. 
  • CigarMan
    Options
    For ribeye's on the egg I'm used to searing at 6-700 for about 90 seconds each side, then taking the egg down to 4-450, and finishing them off. That's just for a few steaks for my wife and I though. Never done a whole ribeye before. It's not going to be a cheap piece of meat, don't want to go into it blind, lol.
  • Baysidebob
    Options

If a full roast with rub "searing" won't work.  If no rub you can "dump on the lump"j to sear, pull it off and get to your cook temp.  Dump in chips or chunks if you wish when you get 400ish dome. I don't recommend that.   Mailard reaction happens at 308 or so.  Pull at 125 in the center at most.

I LOVE standing rib roast.  I love it rubbed.  I pull it at less than 125 and let it rest.  Quizy guests can have the end pieces.  This is NOT steak.  It's beef and bone and blood.  No need to "break down" "connective tissue".  Run it hot and pull it soon.

Oh yeah,  prime rib demands hard liquor prior to consumption.  Anticipate cocktail requests.

My actuary says I'm dead.
  • CigarMan
    Options
    Thanks Bob. That's what I figured as far as searing goes. 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I think I'm following this right. If you want a more traditional ribeye, you can cook it whole, then after slicing into steaks (more like prime rib from cooking the roast whole) sear the individual steaks. This changes the texture from a traditional prime rib cut into more of a rib eye steak.
    Options
    I've seen whole tenderloins, whole NY Strips, what I'm looking to cook is a whole ribeye, but not prime rib. Does that make sense? Is this possible? lol. 

What is the proper cut that I'm looking for if I'm wanting to get a big hunk of meat of this:

That I can then cook all at once, and cut up and have a bunch of ribeye steaks to serve everyone?

Ugh, this has been a process, lol. Sorry if I'm being dense, or maybe I just don't get it, just trying to learn and all the different cuts of meat is quite confusing. Guess I should have just stuck with a pork butt for this party, lol.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Standing rib roast?  I'm sorry, but what you're describing sounds like prime rib to me.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Standing rib roast?  I'm sorry, but what you're describing sounds like prime rib to me.

I agree. Prime rib and ribeye are the same meat to me...ones a steak and the other is a whole roast. Maybe I'm wrong...
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Slice thicker once cooked for the hunks of meat your looking for...sliced a little thinner would be like the prime rib everyone keeps bringing up. Same meat though.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'd do a standing rib roast with a horseradish sauce, and maybe some au jus.  Much more exotic than ribeye steaks.  Cook to 125 or so.  Custom cut thick slices off for your guests.  Make sexy time for glorious benefit of Kazakhastan.
    Options
    I think the confusion here is you are talking about the same general cut of meat.  As others have stated, a ribeye steak is cut from a rib roast.  If you cook the whole thing as a roast, it is going to come out looking like "prime rib" you order at a restaurant.  Each slice will be mostly pink as it is only seared on the edges (the outside of the roast).  If you want it to look like a traditional steak you will want to grill the slices (steaks) so the entire outside of each steak is seared/grilled.

Now, I suppose you could roast the entire prime rib, cut it into big slices (steaks) after it is cooked, and then throw those cooked steaks back on a hot grill to sear the entire steak.  However, it might be easier just to start with individual steaks from the start.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DocWonmug
    Options
    So, going back to the original post by cigar man.... should it be roasted direct or indirect? (as a whole roast, whatever it is called - I usually call it a standing rib roast)  And what is the right dome temperature? I have done quite a few of these in the oven for Christmas. I suppose the same temperature would work, but it ignores the unique features of the Egg vs an oven.

Any thoughts on method and temperature guys?
    LBGE
  • CigarMan
    Options
    Thank you SmokeyPitt, that indeed is where I was confused! 
  • CigarMan
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips. Ready to go! Final few questions for 11 people, how many pounds should I get if I do bone in? If I do a boneless, how many pounds?

From the sounds of it, I'm going to do it at about 250 or so until 120 degrees internal, pull, foil, then cut it up about 30 minutes later!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If it's boneless you need about 14 oz per person.  If it's bone in, about 18 (not every piece will have a bone).  Add an extra pound or two to play it safe.