Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

True Texas Sauce

Insuringyou
Insuringyou Posts: 0
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am looking for a true Texas BBQ sauce, thin and delicious for brisket and chicken. Any recipes out there?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    This Texan likes Bone Sucking Sauce.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• From Texas BBQ Rub.  This is the best.

• 1 28 oz. bottle Hunt's Ketchup
    • 1 19 oz. bottle Jack Daniel's Honey Smokehouse BBQ Sauce
    • 1 can Rotel, Mexican Lime & Cilantro
    • 1 medium Onion , chopped
    • 2 tablespoons Garlic, minced
    • 2 cups Brown sugar, or 1 c Splenda Brown
    • ½ cup Texas BBQ Rub
    • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    • 2 tablespoons Mustard, Yellow prepared
    • ¼ cup Chili powder
    • ½ cup Pineapple juice
    • 2 bottles Water, from Empty ketchup bottle
    • 1 can Water, from empty Rotel can
    • 1 bottle Water, from empty BBQ sauce bottle
    1.Mix ketchup, BBQ sauce, Rotel and chili powder in a large pot. Start cooking on the stove at medium temp. Add the water (you will get out all of the extra sauce from the bottles this way). Stir in garlic and brown sugar . Stir in the rub. Add the chopped onion, worchestershire sauce, and mustard. Bring sauce to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Add pineapple juice. Let simmer for at least 1 hour (longer is better). I usually simmer mine for about 2 hours.
    2.Serve as a side dish for those who ask for it. Use it in the brisket recipe.
    3.Makes about 4 quarts. You will use some of it to finish off the brisket and the other to serve. Keeps for days in the frig.
    4.For BBQ sauce for pork, delete the Rotel and put in 1 can of Peach Nectar.
    Notes
    imageTexas BBQ rub can be bought from: http://texasbbqrub.com

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    If the sauce is anything like their rubs, then it is awesome.
  • Another Texan (transplant) for bone sucking sauce, I like the hot version.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Outlaw77
    Outlaw77 Posts: 71
    edited September 2012
    I'm not a Texan, but I love this sauce for beef. http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/texas_BBQ_mop-sauce.html Edit: +1 for Bone Sucking Sauce. My kids call it "that special BBQ sauce"
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

in Texas, BBQ sauce is more of an afterthought, since meat cooked properly don't need no sauce. And if you are making sauce, better have some drippings from the brisket in it. Here's a simple one.

Ingredients

• 1 cup of meat drippings (or chicken stock)
    • 1 cup ketchup
    • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
    • 2 or more tbsp hot sauce
    • coarse salt and fresh pepper to taste
    • coupla tbsp of your favorite rub, preferably whatever you are using at that time on your meat

Combine all the ingredients except the salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue cooking for about 30 minutes, stirring often. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature. Sauce will last about 3 days. (due to meat drippings)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• I lived in TX for a number of years. Liked it, but they have the most arrogant people in the world living there. I just started to ignore their opinions when they come across that way. Opinions mind you, not facts like they want you think.
  • Oh. There is no such thing as a regional, universal, Texas sauce like South Carolina mustard BBQ sauce, Eastern and Western Carolina vinegar sauce, or KC sauce.
  • EggerinLA said:
    I lived in TX for a number of years. Liked it, but they have the most arrogant people in the world living there. I just started to ignore their opinions when they come across that way. Opinions mind you, not facts like they want you think.
    I was told that when you left Texas for Louisiana, it raised the average IQ in both states. =))

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    EggerinLA said:
    I lived in TX for a number of years. Liked it, but they have the most arrogant people in the world living there. I just started to ignore their opinions when they come across that way. Opinions mind you, not facts like they want you think.

Why is this needed? Do you have nothing better to do than try to start crap on the forum?

If something is not the way you think or do it, tell us how you would to make it better or just different. No problem it that. What you are doing in the above post is a problem and not needed. Why?

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:
    EggerinLA said:

Why is this needed? Do you have nothing better to do than try to start crap on the forum?

If something is not the way you think or do it, tell us how you would to make it better or just different. No problem it that. What you are doing in the above post is a problem and not needed. Why?

+10

Opelika, Alabama
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424

Mickey said:
    EggerinLA said:

Agreed 100%.  Anyone recognize the remarkable irony in his post?
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Griffin said:

in Texas, BBQ sauce is more of an afterthought, since meat cooked properly don't need no sauce. And if you are making sauce, better have some drippings from the brisket in it. Here's a simple one.

Ingredients

• 1 cup of meat drippings (or chicken stock)
    • 1 cup ketchup
    • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
    • 2 or more tbsp hot sauce
    • coarse salt and fresh pepper to taste
    • coupla tbsp of your favorite rub, preferably whatever you are using at that time on your meat

Combine all the ingredients except the salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue cooking for about 30 minutes, stirring often. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature. Sauce will last about 3 days. (due to meat drippings)

That's what I thought Griff when I saw the title.  Most Texas places I've eaten the sauce is truly an afterthought. Memphis is the same way, generally.