Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket and Burnt Ends

Options
EgginWP
EgginWP Posts: 11
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Best brisket cook yet! Those burnt ends are ridiculous.

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Looks great.  What were the details of the cook?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• EgginWP
    Options
    Rubbed and put back in fridge for 24 hours. On the egg indirect at 225 with the Guru Competitor holding everything stable for about 11 hours. A little apple juice in the drip pan. Separated the flat at 190, foiled and rested in a cooler for an hour. Burnt Ends chopped and sauced and put back on for another couple of hours.
  • EgginWP
    Options
    Forgot... Soaked Apple chunks added in the fire for smoke. 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looks pretty tasty! Good job! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Sorry for sounding like such a newb, but I've never done burnt ends - can you describe in detail what you did, starting from cutting them off?

TIA,
    HH
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • EgginWP
    Options
    Burnt ends come from the point on the brisket... If you buy a brisket that is under 7-8lbs, most likely it is just the flat. The point is the thicker part that has more fat on it. After cooking the whole thing, I separated the flat and sliced it... Chopping the thicker "point "in to chunks and putting them back on the egg for a while. You can clearly see the point on the left of the pic below. The fat continues to break down and leaves you with the burnt ends. They are the best part in my opinion. Some BBQ joints will sell them but usually run out quickly. The thing to note here is... If you do a brisket, make sure to get a "packer" that includes the point.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    great info, thanks... but, how long is a "while" that you put them back on for?  How do you know when they are "done" as opposed to overly done (burnt) - because when you cut it off, isn't it already technically "done" at that point?  (dang, I'm corn-fuzed)... :-?
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • EgginWP
    Options
    I put them back on at 225 for 2 hours. At 225 they won't burn quickly... I mixed in some sauce to coat them and provide moisture. The high fat content protects them as well. If you google "burnt ends" on the web, you can get much more detail than I have provided