Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Your ideas on what to do next

gfavorgfavor Posts: 70
edited September 2012 in Off Topic
We've had our BGE for a few months. We've grilled lots of the basic stuff: salmon, steaks, chops, pork/beef tenderloin, chicken pieces, etc. Nothing fancy but its been great. So what do you all suggest if I want to move up a little in developing my skills? Your ideas and recipes?

Comments

• time for an overnighter. I would start with pork shoulder or a chuck roast for pulled beef
    Keeping it Weird in the ATX
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    1 Karubecue C60 (aka-"The Dishwasher")
    More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling
  • overnight pork butt. 275 dome, right around 1.5hrs a lb. But if you haven't spatchcocked a chicken yet, that should be next on your list. Raised direct 375. Around a hour.
  • Have you tried ribs, ABT's, smoked meat loaf?  All good cooks.  As mentioned by Cen-Tex pulled beef is one of my new favorites.
    Edina, MN

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 19,917
    pizza pretzels chilis and stews along with the pulled pork
  • Stir fry with wok, Paella
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 20,291
    start with a pork butt, then do a pulled chuck roast, then the mighty brisket.

• MickeyMickey Posts: 17,802

Mahi-Mahi is very good as is or in tacos.

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• henapplehenapple Posts: 15,581
    Xray is right. I'm doing my first prime rib spray"Saturday. Can't wait.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,581
    Prime rib...damn Swype.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • r270bar270ba Posts: 763
    tgkleman said:
    Stir fry with wok, Paella
    Do you have a good Paella recipe and method?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• r270ba said:
    tgkleman said:
    Stir fry with wok, Paella
    Do you have a good Paella recipe and method?
    Go onto the Naked Whiz's sight for an excellent step by step instruction on Paella, complete with sources for the pans, type of rice. etc.  It is a lot of fun, and fairly straight forward.  Turned out great.
  • I say pizza. First so you can kill your gasket and replace it with an upgrade(might as well go ahead and get it over with, the egg should come with a better one) and second because its good.