Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Using action for gasket replacement

specmatspecmat Posts: 3
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Seen a few quotes that said it's not good to use action to clean for a new gasket Any comments

Comments

• I've used acetone, but not too much. A warm, not hot egg is easier to clean. I use a brush and spread the acetone on 1/4 of the rim only, then off with a dry cloth or for stubborn glue, a rag soaked in acetone. Also discovered my wife's Pampered Chef scrapers work really well, then a razor scraper. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 2,692
    +1 on the razor scraper.  Acetone only on the tough to get off spots.  
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• After scraping I used an palm sander, 200 grit to to remove hard Rutland cement to prep Egg for Nomex with Permatex copper adhesive.  Final clean with acetone and rag.
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA
    "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • BakerMan said:
    After scraping I used an palm sander, 200 grit to to remove hard Rutland cement to prep Egg for Nomex with Permatex copper adhesive.  Final clean with acetone and rag.
    Sounds backward. I used the nomex replacement that mothership send me, then upgraded to the rutland.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,370
    I've used this when replacing all four of mine with Rutlands.  No acetone needed and does not harm the ceramic.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • BakerMan said:
    After scraping I used an palm sander, 200 grit to to remove hard Rutland cement to prep Egg for Nomex with Permatex copper adhesive.  Final clean with acetone and rag.
    Sounds backward. I used the nomex replacement that mothership send me, then upgraded to the rutland.
    Interesting, This may sound stupid, but are there different qualities of Nomex? I was given a BGE self adhesive high temp replacement gasket, it looked very different from the old felt, lighter color and seemed denser. (or maybe it's me that's denser) Is the Nomex from BGE the same as commercially available Nomex? Is it the same as the self adhesive Nomex from High-Que? I have a Nomex from High-Que sitting in a drawer and looks quite different from the BGE high temp gasket. Anyone have experience with this? 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • I have seen pictures of the "new" egg Nomex gaskets and they look to be gray colored.  The Nomex gasket I bought was almost white with no adhesive.  I used Permetex copper to glue it to rim of Egg after reading what others have done.  So far it has survived two 650 degree pizza cooks and still looks new.
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA
    "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"