Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slow cook on cast iron Dutch oven?

Options
Deviledegger
Deviledegger Posts: 271
edited September 2012 in Soups, Stews, Chilis
Hey Eggers, still a rookie to using the forum even though I browse it daily. I am wondering how to do a slow cook in DO while I head out on a bird hunt with a friend. I have a venison roast that will make a great lunch after hunting all morning. I will prep the fire and meal so it's ready in the am. But what method should I use to make sure the roast cooks properly?

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Depending on the size of your DO, placesetter legs up, 3 green feet or spacers underneath the DO. Cook at desired temp. Here's some short ribs I did braised in a red wine sauce. I did them at 350 with the lid off of the DO. What temp do you usually cook your roast at? Speaking of bird hunting, what are you hunting and where you headed? I got about 2 more hours here at work, then I'm heading on down to Goliad (stopping in Lockhart for a bite to eat at one of the three, or maybe Luling). Gonna be dove hunting all weekend. Or killing beers depending if they are flying.

Adding in the meat.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Deviledegger
    Options
    Opening weekend for Grouse in VT. There's still a lot of folliage to have much luck seeing birds but it's a great excuse to hang out. Thanks for your advice! Do you think i will be good for 3-5 hours if my dome temp is around 350? And by the way, the ribs look great!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    It really depends on your recipe and what's in it. Is there some type of liquid? My ribs braised for about 3 hours and in that time I did have to add more liquid as it was evaporating. I guess you could cover it wiht a lid, but then you might as well just use a crockpot as it won't absorb any smoke. What temp do you usually cook it at?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings