Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on doing a pork butt for pulled pork ?

Options
NoDak1959
NoDak1959 Posts: 45
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
When preparing  the butt for smoke I've read about putting mustard on the meat. Does it matter to season it first and then apply the mustard, or apply  the mustard first then the seasoning?  Also what about basting periodically? Thanks

Comments

• wallyjar
    Options
    Mustard then rub.  Mustard helps keep rub in place.  I do not open till done.  No basting.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    The only reason one would apply the mustard is to act as a "binder" or adhesive to help hold the rub on.  

Personally, I don't use mustard.  Most of the time I don't use anything (the moistness of the meat itself usually is sticky enough to hold the rub), but when I do use something, I use olive oil.  

HTH,
    HH
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • DocWonmug
    Options
    Used the mustard on all my pork butts. Keeps the rub on. Does not seem to add flavor. It gets my recommendation.
    LBGE
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Done it both ways and as noted, mustard does not seem to add to the taste. A good rub well worked into the meat is all that's needed, if you are in a hurry and need a binder, use mustard.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    I agree with Hillbilly.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Does using olive oil soften the bark?
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Oils don't soften the bark. Its just a bit more fat to get hotter than water, and crisp everything up. And, it seems to seal in a little moisture where there is just a meat surface.
  • BakerMan
    Options
    I use mustard on ribs and olive oil on butts/briskets.  I did read somewhere that some spices are oil soluble vs. water soluble so it makes sense to me.  I use olive oil on wings to help rub stick also.  Either way, you will never taste the mustard but it will hold a lot of rub.
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • xraypat23
    Options
    salt the meat with seasoned salt, it brings out the natural moisture. Than apply your rub. The mustard, olive oil, syrup...it's all  a waste.
  • GreenhawK
    Options
    I use Pam on butts and ribs if anything at all.  It is just spray olive oil.  It is tasteless, and makes a great paste.  I like to put my rubs on thick.  
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    All we did last week was throw on a good coat of Byron's Butt Rub the night before and put it on the egg for 11 hours without opening the lid and got this result..
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.