Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Cheese?

Options
QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Still getting ready to do my first pizza on the XL egg.  I thought that I would just use mozzarella but I think there may be better options (cheddar mix maybe?).  Ant advice would be appreciated!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• DocWonmug
    Options
    Go for the mozz for the first try. Then branch out if so moved.
    LBGE
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I hate to say this, but use what's on hand.  We always have shredded mozzarella, grated (not powdered) parmasan and sometimes cheddar.  Just dive in and get your hands dirty.  That way you learn what you prefer.
    Flint, Michigan
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Goat cheese and mushrooms.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • EggerinLA
    Options
    Munster and anchovies.
  • gerhardk
    Options
    We use Parmesan and Mozzarella most of the time, sometimes Asiago, and have used goat cheese (it is fairly strong tasting so we don't over do it)  The Mozzarella don't add much to the flavour but if you buy good Parm that is were your pizza steps way beyond pizzeria taste.  I think that spending more on cheese is actually not that much more expensive since you don't need to use as much of it to get great flavour.  I like doing the prep work for pizza so we always buy blocks of cheese that I grate, the mozzarella I buy in the brine and just break the ball up over the pizza, I guess I like the look of the pools of cheese that creates.  I also think the fresh mozzarella caramelizes better when in the oven.  

To me we bother with making pizza at home because it is easy to make a better tasting pizza than the typical takeout.

Gerhard
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

70% Fontina 30% Mozzarella, best cheese pizza I've had.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Mozza, then try others. Costco has a 2# loaf of Frigio, good for pizza.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    fresh mozz and/or goat are standards for me.  I've done fontina, brie and even limburger and they were awesome.  The rind on moldy cheeses adds some nice flavor.
    Options
    Whatever cheeses you decide to use, buy blocks and grate yourself. Those bags of shredded cheese are coated in all kinds of things to prevent them from clumping up.....which also prevents them from melting as easily and browning up. Its worth the time and effort it takes to grate it yourself.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jimreed777
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Whatever cheeses you decide to use, buy blocks and grate yourself. Those bags of shredded cheese are coated in all kinds of things to prevent them from clumping up.....which also prevents them from melting as easily and browning up. Its worth the time and effort it takes to grate it yourself.
    great advice - I am gonna pick up a block today for my pizza cook tonight.
  • billybon
    Options
    Of course, mozzarella is the predominant choice but I always use a variety of cheese. When I first built my pizza oven I did a lot of experimenting with cheese selections. I would go to Publix and get something new every time. You should do the same. In the process I discovered a delicious goat cheese from Norway. Now I never make a pizza without a small amount of Ski Queen Gjetost Original Goat Cheese. It burns easily so it must be the used as the bottom ingredient. 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Cheddar has a nice flavor, but it tends to break into curds and oil, which can add a greasy feel to the finished slice.

I follow the lead of the best pizzeria I've been to. Fresh mozzarella, some Parmesan, and, if I can afford it, a bit of sweet Gorgonzola.

But there are loads of great cheeses. Provolone for a slightly lighter taste than mozz. Romano goes well in place of parmesan. As above, fontina, both fresh and aged, likewise a bit asiago, I like gouda a lot, especially smoked gouda.

Mostly I look for cheeses that melt wel, and that i think will go well w. other toppings.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    fontina asiago and mozz mix is good. for pizza i grate the mozz from the deli section, my really thin pies dont work well with fresh mozzerella, its just too wet. pregrated cheese mostly has a coating of cornstarch that doesnt let it melt well..  i also do a pizza with the canned dry parmesain, its different but i like it. also do an anchovy pissaladiere with a carmelized onion and garlic sauce with herbs and balsamic, anchovies, kalamata olives and gorganzola
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it