Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Just completed new block kitchen with greanite but had trouble

jn_austinjn_austin Posts: 29
edited September 2012 in EGG Table Forum
Just finished my backyard kitchen this morning. Fired up the egg to make pizza's for my daughter and her friends. Noticed that the granite slab where the egg was sitting now has a crack. Jeeze this is unexpected. I plan to call the grnite guys out for an opinion but the slab was well supported (flat concrete block with leveling compound poured on top. It was as smooth as you can get. I don't think there was an issue with the slab install. I asked my local dealer if it was OK to place the EGG directly on the granite and they said yes. Now I am wondering if I could have avoided this with something between the egg and the granite pad. Opinion and experiences are welcome.
·

Comments

• I-) Maybe pictures would be helpful here.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,892

·
  • Well I honestly thought the stuff would be fine. Here is a pic. I'll sort it out with the Granite guys. I guess I will need to put a spacer on the bottom.
    ·
  • Ahhh, that's better.  Maybe a table nest would do the trick and "disappear" letting the granite and of course the Egg shine.  You sure have a sweet set-up.  When you get the bugs worked out, I'm sure your current troubles will all be forgotten. 

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • @Fred19Flintstone agree completely. @jn_austin - Here's what you need. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,892
    I see from the picture why it may have cracked - looks like you have no room for thermal expansion.

·
  • There was about 1/4" on all sides. The granite dealer thinks it may have been a pocket of air inside the stone. He is planning to repair the slab so I am OK with that.
    ·
  • BTW - I did get a table nest and report the granite does not get even close to hot like before. I only wish my dealer had told me to NOT put the BGE directly on the granite.
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,519
    jn_austin said:
    BTW - I did get a table nest and report the granite does not get even close to hot like before. I only wish my dealer had told me to NOT put the BGE directly on the granite.
    @Austin
     have a question. What height does the lower shelf be (from the tabletop down) when you have or use a table nest?

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • My table top to the surface of the lower shelf is 18" I essentially halved the counter height. The counter is about 36" high in that location. It was all built from cement blocks.The outside has veneer stone applied and grout between them. The granite on the top was pricey but darn it looks great. The thing took me about a month to complete it just working on the weekends primarily. Easily saved half or more doing it myself. I incorporated storage into the thing as well so I can have propane bottles, tools, egg supplies, etc... in the vented compartments to the right (not shown in pic)

Oh the table nest now raises the Egg 2" higher for about 20" from the ground. It's still a very good height for me.

·