Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Glass baking dishes OK?

nozob1nozob1 Posts: 43
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Is it OK to put glass baking dishes on the Egg? If so...would it be Indirect with the plate setter with the legs up or down? (Panko crusted chicken roll-ups stuffed with spinach and mushrooms)
·

Comments

• I took a look at the usage part of my Pyrex stuff, it specifically says not to use it on a grill. On the other hand, with a plate setter, the BGE is a charcoal oven, and it doesn't say ANYTHING about that! :)

Not sure what exactly to tell you as I've never used glass bake wear on a grill, I always use cast iron pieces when doing casseroles or baking dishes. Do you have a cast iron pan you could use? Is that possible with this dish?
    Marketing/Media Guy for All Things Barbecue
    Large EGG in Stainless Cart
    Yoder Smokers YS640 Custom
    Weber Kettle 22.5" Classic
    ·
  • EggdamEggdam Posts: 215
    I bake bread in glasses pans with no issues at 350.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,271
    The older Pyrex seems to do better than the newer glass. The newer gets more reports of cracking in the egg.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • I've never had a problem with Corning Ware or Pyrex, but CI is my preferred vessel when possible.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • As long as you are going indirect and they are oven safe, the only thing you have to worry about is the eventual discoloration (if that is a concern). 

I prefer stoneware dishes when I bake on the Egg.
    Knoxville, TN
    ·
  • StoaterStoater Posts: 292
    Well I used a glass pyrex dish on my gasser and blew it to kingdom come, fortunately the lid was shut when it blew, but I have used one on my BGE with the platesetter legs down, I did some stuffed tomatoes, and it was fine, at around 330-415, was a bit scared I would have a repeat but no all was well.
    ·
  • Indirect is fine.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Pyrex is OK, here is one I've used for Italian beef (maybe 10 times?), indirect, setter legs up, grid at 400. 
    about 1/2 of the broth will boil off, that might be why it is OK - but I have had one go dry on me, power washed it and here it is back in service. Key is no direct flame as @Stoater found out. 

IMGP2459.jpg 594.7K
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Indirect with temps similar to your oven is fine. I use mine all of the time.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • I use cast iron skillets and/or dutch oven for baking in the egg.
    -Jody Newell (LBGE & a mini BGE!)
    ·
  • Just don't set it down on an ice covered table when you are done

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,311
    I don't use glass dishes around the egg.....to big a chance of something breaking....

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    ·
  • Glass no problem.  Use my Pyrex all the time.  Wrap outside in foil to lessen elbow grease need to remove smoke, or just let it go amber.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,852
    edited September 2012
    Just don't set it down on an ice covered table when you are done
    Not usually a problem for those of us on the "wet" coast, I had to build a BBQ pit with a roof to keep the rain off! 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • It's pretty scary when they let go.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Thank everyone...I do have a cast iron pan...I will try the oven safe baking dishes indirect, 350 or less and  and STAND BACK!  

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,046
    borosilicate glass can take on a lot of thermal stress - it's why it's used in labs.  I wouldn't have a problem using it indirect.  But try not to scratch it - scratches on the glass and it loses the property to hold together under stress.

·