Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm New

tillerman7
tillerman7 Posts: 18
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Yes, another BGE convert.  I just purchased my XL BGE and am in the process of building a table for it.  Just wanted to take a minute and say hello.  If any only can suggest a height for the table I would be grateful.  I am 6'0 tall, my plan is to have a granite top and a TREX type material for the shelves.  The egg itself will sit on another piece of granite.  Thinking the table will be 6' long by 3' wide.  Thoughts?

Tillerman

Comments

• Welcome to the zoo. sounds like you have some great plans in the works. I think most commercial BBQs have a grid height of between 36-40", depending on the brand and the size of the wheels etc... The BGE table plans call for a table height of 32", if my memory serves me correctly. Given that the top edge of the base (bottom edge of the dome) should be about 6" above the table top, providing hinge clearance, the felt line height is about 38". This is ideal for average folks, not sure what the average height is, but I bet it is under 6'-0", probably something like 5'-8" or so. You might want to make sure your table top is 34"-36" if you are the only user, "chef". If someone smaller than you cooks, the extra height may be an issue when reaching across that 24" or so cooking grid. I'd work from the desired felt ring height and size everything from there, including wether the base sits directly on granite, a table nest, or a paver. (there is another thread somewhere here where a member had the granite under the egg crack (heat??) 

Good luck!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Welcome. Standard height is 36" to the handle or thereabouts. If you want to adjust up or down that won't hurt anything but standard counter height is 36" also. If you do that you will have to cut your top to accomadate the hinge assembly. Wish I was 6"

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• That was supposed to be 6' BTW

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    That was supposed to be 6' BTW

=))
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Tillerman,
    Welcome, I got my Large Egg about a month ago and have done ribs, pork shoulder, steaks, burgers, chicken breasts, ABTs and every cook and idea I got was from someone on this forum. 

The people are great and always willing to help especially when you are asking yourself "what the hell do I do now"...

My only recommendation for the table is to add tracks to hold rubbermaid containers for storage.  If you did a search for tables, you will see what I am talking about.  I am able to put two 14 gallon rubbermaid containers under the bottom shelf of my table and if you haven't figured it out yet, you will need it for all the eggcessories you will end up getting.

Welcome to the cult
    $-)
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • Make your table as long as you have room for, it's amazing how fast the table top gets covered with eggcessories when changing setups or, making pizzas..
  • Welcome to the forum. Lots of knowledge here to be shared here. Good luck with the table. Enjoy it.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I made mine 6"...I mean, 6' long.  It's perfect.  Put the egg in the center.  With that length, you'll enjoy two large areas to prep/whatever on each side.

@Little Steven I guess we know how you got your name... LOL

@ tillerman7 Welcome to the forum!  Keep in mind that Trex is not structural.  It is less rigid than wood so you will need to make sure the Egg/granite is properly supported by some "real wood"

When you get the table finished you will want a cover for it.  I just built a 32" x 72" table and found a cover to fit here.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143837/finally-found-a-cover-for-my-new-table#latest

HTH,

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    That was supposed to be 6' BTW

Too much information :-\"
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Check out ipe lumber...Brazilian hardwood
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • @ Bakerman... Yes, only plan on using the TREX for shelving.  
  • Sounds like a great plan. Just an aesthetic question... Are you doing a round cutout and dropping the egg in (like the BGE tables) or doing a square cutout?

Doesn't really matter, I just think that the square cutout looks awesome! That's what I'm doing with my new outdoor kitchen (once the bank closes the loan... ugh)... A custom Yoder YS640 pellet and a large BGE. It's going to be sweet... Of course my wife thinks we should buy new carpet first, but I keep telling her that since barbecue technically paid for the house, it should come first... Hope she'll buy it! :)
    Marketing/Media Guy for All Things Barbecue
    Large EGG in Stainless Cart
    Yoder Smokers YS640 Custom
    Weber Kettle 22.5" Classic
  • @ ATBBQ_JOSH:

I am going to make a round cut for the egg.  I think it asks for 26"ish hole, I think I'm going to go with a 27".  Thoughts?