Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grid vs. Dome temp

Options
Truck 511
Truck 511 Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I remember some discussion a few months back about grid vs. dome temp and most everyone uses the dome temp as there recipe temperature. I've also noticed that there seems to be a rule of thumb that the grate temp is about 20 - 30 degrees lower than the dome temp when doing a low and slow. I.e. if dome is 250 degrees then the grate will be about 225.[p]I've been monitoring my done and my grate on the last two cooks and my grate is always higher or equal to my dome temp. Has anyone else seen this? Could my grid probe be too close to the fire?[p]My setup is as follows (hopefully the picture will work):
1. Lump to the top of the fire ring.
2. Grill on top of fire ring with 1" fire brick on this grill.
3. Two regular bricks on side to hold the main grid.
4. Temp probe and meat on main grid[p]IMG_0433.jpg[p]Matt

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Truck511,[p]Your grate is so high up in the dome I would assume that both temps would be close. But if you put the grate only on the plate setter with feet up and the meat on top than there is quite a difference. That's what I experienced this weekend. Dome was 300, while the probe from the BBQ Guru read 250[p]Howard

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Truck511,
    It looks like your grate probe is probably almost at the same level as your meat probe (high up in the dome). If this is true they more than likely will have simular readings. I believe the difference comes when you measure your grate temp while it is in the original position. The reason why the two usually differ is because the heat gathers and builds up at the top of the dome making it warmer than the grate level. Hope this makes since.

• Truck 511
    Truck 511 Posts: 33
    Options
    howard,[p]I never considered that my grate would be too high. Thanks,.. I'll be sure to lower it for the next cook.[p]This butt was my first successful low and slow. It was a 7.5 lb butt that cooked for 17.5 hours. I was very happy with the results.[p]Matt[p]img_0436.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Truck511,
    if you were happy with the results why would you want to change your setup. i cook lots of things way up high in the dome and find that the refected heat builds a better bark. the only thing that i might change is lowering the drip pan to get a little more uniform air flow around the meat, but if you were happy with your results dont change a thing

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Truck511,
    Seems the controversy continues about dome vs. grid temp when using the Guru. Personally, I use the grid temp, but mostly I use the meat probe reading and a therma-pen.
    I also clip the grid probe to the meat probe. Shotgun
    Fred told me to do this several years ago, and since he is the Guru Swami, I do it, and it seems to work!
    Hammer

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Matt!!
    I think the only rule of thumb is that every cook is different! So you are doin the right thing by monitoring grate temps. At our comps we monitor two locations at the grid level. With 10-15 pounds of cold meat, and an indirect setup, temps vary by anywhere from 50-80 degrees until the meat heats up. That little "eddy" of air created by your drip pan or platesetter is not as hot due to the cold meat. After a few hours, when the meat reaches 140 or so, the temps start equalizing. [p]Your probe looks to be on the grate toward the back. Try poking it through the very edge of your roast there....so the tip hangs out about 3 inches, but is over the drip pan and not on the grate. Takes a little playing to really know exactly what is happening everywhere in the cooker (not that you have to). If your probe is too close to the meat, your readings will be even lower, and if your probe is hanging out so it is near the outside of the cooker (where most of the airflow is) then it will run hotter.[p]Just some idears. Measure several temp points, and each time you cook you'll learn something new.
    Happy cookin mang!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Truck511,[p]Howard has a good point about the height of your grate, but also in your picture, your grate probe is toward the back of the Egg. I have a hot spot in that location (I always line up one leg on my plate setter in the rear to diffuse the hot air), so maybe you are reading the hotter air back there. I put my grate probe even with the center of the meat and about 2" from the edge of the meat.[p]In your second picture, the grate probe is in the front of the Egg. Do you notice the same type readings when it is up there?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery