Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Prototype HI-Que

bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,386
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
i had some trouble keeping temp on my large so i went out a bought i weber fire grid to test it out before buying the real mccoy hi-que grid . then after reading the forum found some members enlarged the holes on the factory grid thats all well and good and i thought hey that'll work . But its cast iron and could crack so being i work in a machine shop i thought i would try my own version . i got a piece of 316s/s same diameter and drilled .950 diameter holes in it. the factory grid has roughly .650 to .700 diameter holes on my grid so thats a minimum of .300 increase per hole for 34 holes a huge increase of airflow or so i hope .and when i got home my micro adjuster door from third eye arrived as well hopefully i'll get a chance to test it out this weekend  
Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
·

Comments

• tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    Nice looking work. 
    Out of curiosity, what would a hunk of metal like that cost someone? 
    I just ordered my Hi-que, after using the Weber for 6 months, and warping the daylights out of it. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,386
    edited September 2012
    honestly am not sure i'll ask my purchasing department i used 316 because it was a scrap piece off the end of a 12ft bar but i'm guessing any cheaper grade of steel would work just as well.
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    Well, either way, good luck, and let us know how it goes. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 4,015
    Where do I send my order information?
    ·
  • Boy I like your fine-tune bottom draft door.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
    ·
    @Lit really wasn't planning on selling them just a test to see if it would work 
    ·