Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Spatchcock Chicken

Options
Cullum
Cullum Posts: 215
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Doing my first spatchcock chicken. Which do you measure doneness, in the breast or the thigh? It probably doesn't matter but some might prefer one over the other. Thanks for any tips!

Comments

• HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Options
    From my understanding the breast gets done before the thigh, so I would say test in the thigh.  
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    HD is right.  They say you should cook the breast to an internal temperature of 165, and the thigh to 185.  I usually check the thigh but mainly because my wife likes the dark meat and only if its cooked to 195.  I need to start quartering my chickens.

Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Do double grate...chicken on top, pan of veggies underneath. I use evo, salt and pepper and a little chicken broth in the bottom. Found the recipe here....awesome. Just cut the veggies big or they get mushy.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Checkout the Naked Whiz website, I use his exact method Naked Whiz Spatch try spatchcocking it the day before throwing your favorite rub on it putting it on a baking sheet uncovered overnight in the fridge. It helps the skin crisp up and there is no need to flip it over during the cook. If I use my DigitQ I'll put the thermometer in the thigh and pull at 180° but check with a instant read thermometer for 160° in the breast. Take it inside and let it relax 10-15 mins under some foil slice and have some of the best chicken you've ever had! Its one of my favorite things on the Egg! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.