Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My best Baby Backs yet.

Sgt93
Sgt93 Posts: 728
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Decided to make a few slabs of Baby Back's and some chicken breasts last night and my ribs turned out great.  I went to check the bend and grabbed them and they began to fall apart.  I had to used tongs and a spatula to remove them in one piece. My wife is not a big fan of ribs and is a health nut. She went to try them out and between every chew she said "phenomenal, amazing, it's ashamed no one else is here to eat these" and went back for seconds.  I took that as an honor and she was right, just fabulous.  Love the Egg and glad I improve with every cook.  I rubbed them down with Dizzy Dust and a little Swamp Venom.  I also used a 50/50 spray of apple juice and apple cider vinegar and sprayed every hour for the almost 5 hour cook at about 230 degrees.  Chicken was obviously added later in the cook.
Enjoyed some Four Roses during the cook :)

XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks great! I'm going to have to hop on the Dizzy Pig train one of these days! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Solid.  Everything looks good, even your choice in bourbon!

Your wife gave you the best compliment you could possibly ask for.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Sgt93
    edited September 2012
    Solson005 said:
    Looks great! I'm going to have to hop on the Dizzy Pig train one of these days! 
    Thank you, I really like their spices.  My only regret is not getting the 1 quart bottles. Next time. 

YEMTrey said:
    Solid.  Everything looks good, even your choice in bourbon!

Your wife gave you the best compliment you could possibly ask for.
    Thank you.  She kept going on about them, as did my son so I knew I hit the mark with these.  

I am a big Crown drinker and my buddy introduced me to Four Roses and actually bought that bottle for me.  I ran out of CR last night and decided to drink the Four Roses.  It's damn good stuff.  As you know, it has a little bit of a sweetness to it and it's great stuff.  I will be adding more for sure.

Also, for the Crown Royal drinkers out there, in November CR is slated to release Crown Royal Maple.  Sounds pretty interesting.  Here is a pic taken by guy on Instagram, I believe a member on here:

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    your temp on the ribs...?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Sgt93
    henapple said:
    your temp on the ribs...?
    Rib temp themselves, right around 200-205. Cook temp, 230-235.
  • Sgt93 said:
    between every chew she said "phenomenal, amazing, it's ashamed no one else is here to eat these" and went back for seconds.  I took that as an honor and she was right, just fabulous.  

I know I have hit a home run  when someone tries my food and is trying to compliment the food with their mouth full or just grunting while they chew.  :-D
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • I have never sen this grid system before -- can anyone provide a link to it ?
  • That's the 2 tier swing rack.  ceramicgrillworks.com
    Flint, Michigan
  • Sgt93
    BakerMan said:
    Sgt93 said:
    between every chew she said "phenomenal, amazing, it's ashamed no one else is here to eat these" and went back for seconds.  I took that as an honor and she was right, just fabulous.  

I know I have hit a home run  when someone tries my food and is trying to compliment the food with their mouth full or just grunting while they chew.  :-D
    My thoughts exactly.  Had a heck of a compliment on some cooks lately so I must be doing something right. It' always nice to hear for sure :)
  • I plan to cook ribs this weekend on my new Adjustable Rig setup, 250, using 3-1-1 method.  The wife also wants some chicken quarters on there.  So, my question since I see you cooked both at the same time, when do you put the chicken on to be done with the ribs?   Tks.
    Highland, MD  Egg Family: 1 Large, 1 Medium.
  • Nice work. Where can you get a double rack
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Lsuappel said:
    Nice work. Where can you get a double rack
    You can build your own with fire bricks and an extra grill rack, or you can buy an aftermarket product from ceramicgrillstore or ceramicgrillworks.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Nice work.  Question:  Are you concerned with the chicken dripping on the ribs?  Does it change or effect the flavor profile of the ribs?

I too am a big Crown drinker.  I have been into the reserve lately, expensive but great.  The maple looks cool.  I will keep an eye open for it.

Zick
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • Great looking ribs!  Did you use any smoke?  I'm due for another rib cooking and I want a good smoke flavor. 

Back in the late 70's I was backpacking around Europe and spent a couple of months with a family in southern Italy.  My Italian buddies all drank beer, wine, and grappa.  They queried me on the drink of choice in the American south and I of course replied, "bourbon and coke"!  One night it was decided that bourbon and coke would be the drink of the night so we paraded down to the local bar to see if we could find some bourbon as none of them had  seen  bourbon.

The local bar was not what we here in the states think of as a bar.  It was more like a cafe.  They served booze, coffee, and even soft drinks for the kids.  If you were in a downtown business and it was time for a coffee you just telephoned the bar and a few minutes later a little man appeared wearing a white shirt, black tie, black pants and an apron carrying a silver tray with what ever goodies you had ordered.  It was all quite civilized. 

So us four guys went into the bar that night and asked the little man in the penguin suit if he had any bourbon.  Well.....I guess that's what they asked him because my Italian was very poor.  He goes back in the back and gets a latter, brings it out front and climbs up to a shelf that was almost to the ceiling and grabs a very old very dusty bottle.  He climbs down and uses his apron to clean the bottle.  He then presents it with a smile and a bow as it it was a vintage Chateau Laffiite.  Well you have probably guessed that it was a very old bottle of Four Roses probably left over from the occupation of American troops during WWII.  It was the first and only time I have ever had Four Roses.  But I must say that at that point in time it was one of the best things I had ever tasted!
  • Sgt93
    edited September 2012
    logsend said:

I plan to cook ribs this weekend on my new Adjustable Rig setup, 250, using 3-1-1 method.  The wife also wants some chicken quarters on there.  So, my question since I see you cooked both at the same time, when do you put the chicken on to be done with the ribs?   Tks.

Sorry, just saw this. I didn't put the chicken on until around the last hour and 20 minutes or so of the cook. The chicken was so juicy it was squirting all over. Wife loved it. Temp was around 235 dome.
  • Sgt93

Great looking ribs!  Did you use any smoke?&

I used Apple wood chunks and lots of them. I like smoke as well and that they were.
  • Sgt93
    Zick said:

Nice work.  Question:  Are you concerned with the chicken dripping on the ribs?  Does it change or effect the flavor profile of the ribs?

I too am a big Crown drinker.  I have been into the reserve lately, expensive but great.  The maple looks cool.  I will keep an eye open for it.

Zick
    Always good to meet another Crown drinker. I will be switching to Single Malt once the white stuff hits in the Midwest.

Chicken was on for about an hour and twenty and never tasted anything on the ribs. Not even a hint actually.
  • Sgt93
    YEMTrey said:

Lsuappel said:

Nice work. Where can you get a double rack

You can build your own with fire bricks and an extra grill rack, or you can buy an aftermarket product from ceramicgrillstore or ceramicgrillworks.

There are some great options out there or you can make your own setup
  • Just exactly how long you been married? Did you then feed her Four Roses and have your way with her? High praise indeed from your bride.....
    LBGE
  • Sgt93
    DocWonmug said:

Just exactly how long you been married? Did you then feed her Four Roses and have your way with her? High praise indeed from your bride.....

Haha, been married for 10 years, together for 12. She's good people and a health nut. Her compliment meant the world for sure :)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I made my double rack...found a pic on the forum. Stainless grid with stainless bolts/washer/nut...works great.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN