Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bread maker for Pizza Dough

carter422
carter422 Posts: 58
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anybody using a bread maker for there pizza dough?  I found an Oster brand at my local Wal Mart for $69 dollars.

Comments

• No. We have an older Black and Decker single paddle bread maker, the pizza dough is too dry. We simply could not get good dough out of it, that may be more our stupidity than the bread maker's. 
    We get great dough from our stand mixer, almost as good as the handmade stuff, but a lot less work. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    We have a BB-HAC10 bread maker by Zojirushi.  I've never tried to make pizza dough with it, but I just checked the FAQ on it and found this.  So, I think I'll give it a shot because it's easy to clean.

Absolutely. Very easy. The recipe makes 2 - 12" thin crust pizzas, or one 12" thick crust pizza. It kneads the dough, then goes through a 46 minute rise, stirs down and has a 25 minute rise. Full cycle takes 1:45 but there is a 20 minute rest period when you start. I think the rest is to let the ingredients all get to a good room temperature. When I know my ingredients were already at room temperature, I'll started the machine (without putting in the pan), then assemble the ingredients, and then I'll put the pan in. That lets the machine eat up some of that rest time
    SWVABeanCounter just posted yesterday using one. New Egg Owner - First pizza Pizza looks good, and they didn't mention any complaints. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • I did see that one.  Just wondering if it would be worth the 100 price tag
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I use a kitchen aid stand mixer for my dough and love it. I know they are pricey but sometimes you can find a good deal at Kohls or Bed Bath and Beyond with 20% coupons and rebates. I also have a ice cream attachment that adds a nice treat after a great meal on the egg! Its 10+ years old and works like a champ! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • I don't remember the brand we bought, but it was worth it.  We never actually make bread in it, just use it for dough.  Pizza dough was excellent on the egg.  We've even made a few loaves of bread on the egg and it does have a hint of smoky taste in the crust.  Nothin better than a sammie of smoked meat on homemade bread.  As for cleaning, pull the paddle out right away and then you just let the residue dough harden up and you just wipe it clean, really easy.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• I have a kitchen aid stand mixer.  I only have a dough hook which doesn't do a great job kneading the dough.  My mixer cant use the other dough attachment because of the torque it put on the head of the mixer.
  • Solson005
    Give this a try before you go buy a bread maker. I just have the dough hook on mine. For the mixer we did it on speed 1 till it formed a ball, 
    let it rest for 10 minutes, 
    and then 5 minutes on speed 4, 
    then 2 more minutes on speed 1. 
    We placed each batch into a oiled bowl, covered, and let rise. Then put dough into a oiled ziplock bag and store in fridge overnight. We pulled the dough out a couple hours before everyone arrived and cut each ball in quarters making 12 pizza skins in all. 
    I found the stand mixer directions on the Forno Bravo pizza oven forum. 
    Here is the link to everything I used: Baker's Dozen Pizza Party
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I've been using the kitchen aid mixer for pizza dough when I'm not making the no-knead recipe.  It's more of a chore to clean than the bread machine.  I'll report observations back to the forum, of course, as soon as I try out the bread machine.
    I've used one following the recipe from teh Naked Whiz's site. Works well, but I wouldn't buy a bread machine just for making dough. My grandmother gave me hers that she wasn't using anymore.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Thanks Solson005 I will give it a shot tonight.  I am going to make the King Arthur recipe for a deep dish.
  • Solson005
    No problem, The first time I made Jamie Oliver's recipe I did the whole thing and it didn't mix well so I halved the recipe and it came out much better with two batches.  
  • +1 on the kitchen aid. Works better than my bread machine. I've tried both.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • carter422 said: I have a kitchen aid stand mixer.  I only have a dough hook which doesn't do a great job kneading the dough.  My mixer cant use the other dough attachment because of the torque it put on the head of the mixer.
    Dough hook is all you need, or did I misunderstand that your mixer may need a "gear" replacement. The ideal way I've found to use the stand mixer is to put the yeast, water and sugar (if you are using any) and maybe 1/4 of the flour into the bowl and using the "K" paddle, mix for 5 minutes or so. A
    dd oil, salt and continue for another minute or two. Change to hook and add flour 1/4 cup at a time. Knead for 10 minutes or whatever it takes. 
    +1 on the kitchen aid. Works better than my bread machine. I've tried both.
    Agreed. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Solson005
    @Skiddymarker have you every tried 00 with Emerils recipe? Its on my list to try, maybe I should just make it, throw some leftover pulled pork and make a BBQ pizza later this week..  :-?
  • Solson005 said:
    @Skiddymarker have you every tried 00 with Emerils recipe? Its on my list to try, maybe I should just make it, throw some leftover pulled pork and make a BBQ pizza later this week..  :-?
    Sounds like a good excuse to make a BBQ pie if I ever heard one. 
    No, have never used Tipo or others. Being a Canuck, we have access to Rogers Flour, which is close to but not a 00. Silver Star is a high gluten flour great for pizza (well I'm happy with it) We get 40# for <$15 at Costco. 
  • Solson005
    As long as your happy @Skiddymarker thats all that matters, just using King Arthur Bread Flour was good but it tore a couple times while I was making the pie, the more I make the better I get at it but the 00 did seem to roll/ toss much better and taste was better as well. I have both so I might try a 50/50 using the recipe you like. Thanks
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I use a bread machine for all my pizza dough.  I've done it in my kitchen aid mixer as well, but I prefer putting all the ingredients in the bread machine, putting it on knead, 30 minutes and it is done.  Foolproof.
  • I use a breadmaker for my dough and it works well. I roll out the crusts. Just got some 00 flour to try. Breadmaker takes 2 hours, no mess. Also pretty easy to make two consecutive batches if I need a lot of dough for guests.