Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

prime rib

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Is there a good, simple prime rib recipe. I researched one...I believe it was from Curtis. Sounded complicated. On a Saturday after 17 beers....I just want to stare at the football game and the egg.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    here's how I do mine, and they turn out most EGG-cellent (if I do say so myself): 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1139419/cook-catchup-part-i-prime-rib-roast#latest

I don't know which recipe you are referring to as being "complicated" - but it doesn't really get much simpler than the way I do it. 

HTH,
    HH
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I don't wanna seem like a dumba$$ but...
    Do you put a pan under it to catch the drippings?
    Is 120 medium rare?
    What's with the...in the fridge for a few days?

I've cooked so much pork and chicken.. I need some steak...just never done it on the egg.

Thanks HH
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    I'd definitely want to catch those drippings - for me.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Little Steven
    Options

You need the drippings to make the Yorkshire pud

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    henapple said:
    I don't wanna seem like a dumba$$ but... Do you put a pan under it to catch the drippings? Is 120 medium rare? What's with the...in the fridge for a few days? I've cooked so much pork and chicken.. I need some steak...just never done it on the egg. Thanks HH
    I usually just cover my plate setter w/ aluminum foil, as opposed to putting in a drip pan.  Either way will work though. 

And yes, I believe 120 is rare (though, the temp will raise another few degrees ~5+/-). 

And I think the comment regarding "in the fridge" was from Little Steven & was in response to Stike who suggested that throw the meat in the fridge for a few days to assure a crust. 

Also, I added rosemary to the top, but forgot to put that in my ingredients list.  That's optional, obviously. 

HTH,
    HH
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I've pulled mine more around 130 since my wife like hers a little less red than I do. 135 after resting seems to be a nice balance. For the rub, I make a paste out of chopped garlic, lots of crushed coriander, chopped cilantro, some full grain mustard, and lots of ground pepper. Can't remember much else off the top of my head but I think that's it.
    Dunedin, FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I do salt and pepper, roast at as low a temp I can (220-ish) and cook to same as HH - 120 F. 

I cooked and served several thousand pounds of prime rib when I was a cook in high school and college.  We'd salt and pepper them, and put them in at 200 F in the morning.  They'd be around 120 by dinner service.  We'd cook a couple primals more for people that liked it more done. 

If someone wanted a medium and all we had was MR, we'd throw in in au jus for a while.
    I cover the setter, but it seldom has much on it, so not much burn smell/smoke. I think the reason is the low heat, the fats have a chance to cook, not boil. I don't know why, just seems to happen that way. 
    If the crust is not developing, I have no idea why one does one doesn't other than maybe the fridge sit, I have pulled the roast at 115, covered it and let the egg heat to 450/500. Give it 10 or 15minutes and drop the roast back on for 5 minutes or so, colored the outside which was pretty much seasoned per Hillbilly-Hightech's technique. 
    I have found the in the fridge, uncovered for 48 hours usually gives a suitable crust when the interior is at 120 - no need to post cook sear. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The juices are worth catching to make au jus.  Cooking at 220 F, the plate setter doesn't get hot enough to boil or burn grease, so you don't need to worry about a funky grease fire taste.
    edited September 2012
    Options

The juices are worth catching to make au jus.  Cooking at 220 F, the plate setter doesn't get hot enough to boil or burn grease, so you don't need to worry about a funky grease fire taste.
    I made ThirdEye's au jus recipe #3 (about 1/2 - 3/4 down the page): 

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html

However, I modified it because I didn't have the Smokin Guns rub, and I believe I used garlic powder rather than garlic salt. 

Anyway, it turned out INCREDIBLE (credit to ThirdEye for original recipe).

• cas_sj
    Options

Henaple wanted a simple approach, forgive me I know - this is way too detailed.  But for future reference, I think this is almost everything you need to know on doing a rib roast on a grill (Egg or otherwise).

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/prime_rib_roast.html

Credit to Meathead Goldwyn - great stuff!  And Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust works wonderfully on any piece of beef.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/cow_crust.html