Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finished my concrete table top and matching pedestal.

RandallB
RandallB Posts: 67
edited September 2012 in EGG Table Forum

This is version 2.  Version 1 was practice.   I am very happy with it.  I would encourage everyone to look at concrete as an option.

I made the pedestal to my exact desired dimensions.  The biggest challenge was the 21'' cutout hole in the top.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nice!  I'm dying to try making some concrete stuff.  I even bought a diamond wet grinder in preparation.
    LBGE, Smoke Hollow 4-in-1, Charbroil Big Easy, and Weber Smokey Joe.
  • Why cut the concrete when it could be formed with a hole?

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Use Styrofoam for the hole. I love my concrete top. My egg table is concrete. So is my bathroom vanity and bar.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nice work, cortguitarman.  Wish I had the space to build a bar.

Great looking table and very practical!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • One piece of advice about the concrete. Don't be a knucklehead like me and turn your dome upside down on the counter to replace your gasket. I twisted and spun my dome as I put the gasket on. All the while, I was scratching the sealer. My buddy fixed it, but had to regrind it and reseal it.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • My description wasn't clear. I did a plug for the hole.  It was made out of wood trimmed in some thin foam insulation wrap material.   Lessons learned, I think total styrofoam board would definitely be best (I only saw it in full 4x8 sheets, ~$35).  Firm for holding the wet concrete but easy to cut and sand into the perfect shaped 21'' hole.

I didn't do a lot of work on smoothing the concrete or filling bubble holes because it will be outside.  I am very happy with the color.  It doesn't have a lot of random colors, but it is "aging" very nicely with a very unique tone and color.

I made the table about 2 years ago.  My wooden top was nasty from charcoal and grease drippings so I wanted to try concrete for durability outside.

From my first attempt I learned the chauk has to be perfect to get a good edge.  I put a tiny bit in the edges, smeared in with finger and then wiped off all excess on the melamine board with rag w/ Acetone, leaving TINY bit just in corner crack.   Also I didn't mix my concrete long enough and got some tiny dry mix exactly in the edge at spots and it didn't hold.  But, overall my edges turned out great.

Also, the narrow necks around the 21'' hole need serious support.  I have a 3' piece of rebar running down the sides and another piece on the end.

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Use Styrofoam for the hole. I love my concrete top. My egg table is concrete. So is my bathroom vanity and bar.
    Cort, completely off topic, but what kind of kegerator are you using and do you like it?  I'm looking to add an identical two tower setup of that size and am curious.  Thanks.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    What did you do with the first one? Thinking of selling the one I built and doing a 2.0
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • version 1.0 was bad!   I put small wire mesh in the narrow necks around the hole.  My hole "plug" was wooden against the dried concrete.  It was so tight I had to beat out the plug.  All three necks around the hole cracked through.  My chauk edges were terrible too.

I let my sons break it up with a sledge hammer!

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited September 2012
    Practical, functional, practical, heat resistant, practical, cost effective, practical, easy to shape, practical, beautiful, practical, easy to color and most of all practical. 

Great looking table and very practical!

Yeah....but would you say its practical? ;)

BTW - nice looking table @RandallB

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• @YEMTrey I have an Edgestar kegerator. It does the job very well. If you already have a single tower, go to kegworks.com. You can buy the double tower separately and add it to your kegerator.

Mine will hold 1 half barrel, 1 1/4 barrel or 2 1/6 barrels. We always buy the sixths for variety. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited September 2012

Great job, love the color.
    Did mine last summer, holding up well.  Only thing I wasn't happy about is it didn't take the color dye at all.  Planned it to be dark grey (or almost black) but it didn't change the color at all?  Other than that, very happy with it.
    Packerland, Wisconsin