Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Chuck Roast and Filet!

EggucatorEggucator Posts: 188
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Did a chuck roast at 275 for 5 hours.  Seasoned with cowlick and smoked with a little hickory.  Added some pepperoncinis to it and made Italian Beef sandwiches.

The next cook was a few steaks I used the Trex method on.  Seared at 750 for 90 seconds per side, wrapped in foil while I waited, got temp down to 400 and then went 6 minutes a side for a perfect medium well.  The sear was perfect after the 90 seconds.  It did seem to burn a little during the 6min 400 cook.  I did it direct. Would throwing the place setter in and getting to 400 help with the burning?  I don't have the money to experiment with this one!  

LBGE
Zionsville, IN

Comments

• Yes, the plate setter will help with the burning.  I like my steaks rare, so I'm sure that the 90 sec per side would have been enough cooking for me!  I do a lot of indirect 'grilling' with chicken and pork where I definitely don't want rare meat and also with beef roasts where I need to roast at lower temps.  My setup is placesetter feet up then the grate.  I light the egg and let it heat everything up to 400-450*.  Once everything is good and hot I place the meat and roast away.  They all come out very moist.  If you want grill marks, use your method above and after the sear put the placesetter in and finish to temp. 

• Thanks for the advice!  I will throw the place setter in next time i try the Trex on a steak!
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN