Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Whole Pig- Caja China (Lots of Pics)

Options
LongboardR
LongboardR Posts: 101
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

First off, I can’t take credit for this cook/party but was thrilled be there from start to finish and be a wingman on the mission.  I think my job was to offer up my pearls of wisdom (more like wise cracks), drink beer and shoot some pics. Nice gig! I have been looking forward to this as it was the first Pig Roast in my buddy’s new Caja China. It was a great party and everyone had a blast. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I was not there for the box assembly but heard it took a few hours the night prior (and the first keg was tapped so not sure the normal time required). The pig was picked up and dressed and marinated in classic Cuban Mojo. The morning of the roast it was brought to room temp. Below is the swine ready to go to his new coffin.

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />

The pig was secured into the rack and place in the Caja China. Pretty simple with 4 “S” hooks holding two frames between the pig. Fire started and the cook was underway. The process is pretty straight forward and requires coals to be raked frequently and an hourly dump of ashes and extra coals being added.

BTW- Tons of credit to my friend Dan and his wife Kathy. Check out the T-Shits pretty cool. Getting the party started.

A quick diversion from the cook. Big kudos on the beer choices and I found my new favorite “Magic Hat #9”. Wow good stuff. Anyway the four torpedo’s ready for action.

So, back to the swine. After 4ish hours the pig was almost done and flipped over to crisp up the skin. Looking pretty good at this point. Should point out that one of the hoof’s/legs fell off and we pulled out of the box to taste test….and was really good. Interesting how different each part tasted and the hoof had a lot of roasting and browning and the meat was surprisingly good.

Almost done and checking the skin for the perfect crispiness. By this time we had a good crowd gathered and everyone was ready to eat. Don’t spill the magic hat!

Finally, the done deal before we carved him up. Almost looks like he’s smiling. The head fell off when we took him out. Anyway, I had the opportunity to taste the various cuts. The ham/but was as expected really-awesome, the shoulder just fell apart and was the bulk served for shredded sandwiches, the back was excellent and had crispy skin on it too, the hog jowl was good and was similar to the hoof…and the best piece (to me) was the ribs. I think the way this cooks upside down allows the marinade to really set in the rib area.

Sorry for getting off topic and for the record there was a Big Green EGG on duty and it served up the hot dogs for the little ones. The Caja China is a nice pig party toy. The meat is excellent and there is something unique on the ability to make it very crispy and yet extremely moist meat. Good party, good friends and some great eats. Life is good!

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    What a cool cook! I've always wanted to do a whole pig, but too lazy to build a pit and the wife wouldn't go for the price of a caja. Maybe someday. I've got a friend that says he's going to buy one in the next year, so maybe I'll get to see on in action. Thanks for sharing.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Options
    Looks really good. I have cooked several whole hogs but I have never heard of a caja. Are the coals placed on a grate above the pig?
  • LongboardR
    Options
    Coals on top. It has a grate that allows you to seperate the ash from the hot coals. Then add new coals and rake evenly. It generates a lot of heat! In the one pic you can see a little device that blows smoke into the box. Its an option but worked well.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    That looks awesome- like the caja setup. Thanks for sharing
    Greensboro, NC
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Looks like a great time and the pig looks really tasty! You seem to be missing a letter in "T-Shirts" :D.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Options
    I will have to check that cooker out. I'm always up for a new cooking technique and this one looks really good. Great post and I would bet that the pig was delicious. Hard to beat drinking cold beer with friends and eating pig!!! Thanks again for the post and pics.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I have always wanted to check one of those out. It seems like a pretty fun experience and a great way to have a bunch of friends over. Thanks for sharing! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.