Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heading to Omaha, NE

milkman5083
milkman5083 Posts: 100
edited September 2012 in Off Topic
I am moving this weekend and was curious if any members live there. If so, I'd like your thoughts/suggestions of the area. Thanks!

Comments

• A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99

Never lived there but visited often when we lived in Nebraska.  Great town, check out the old market area downtown, some really good restaurants and interesting shops. 

Omaha Prime was a favorite of ours. Great steaks and everything is ala carte. go hungry

• I live in the Omaha area.  I think most people that visit here leave with a good impression.  Its a big enough city to have everything you need.  Generally regardless of traffic you can get anywhere in town in aprox. 30-45 minutes or less.  Any other questions feel free to ask. 
  • Omaha Prime has really gone downhill; their Yelp reviews are pretty bad.  I ate there a few years ago and left unimpressed.  There are better options in the old market/downtown area if steak is what you're looking for. 

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I've lived here all my life and agree with what jehaack says.  The Old Market is o.k. but I much prefer the restaurants, attractions and living out in the west part of town.  There are three BGE dealers in town, but only one of them is worth a spit in my opinion.  I've considered approaching him about getting a local eggfest together.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

I visit there quite a bit on business, nice town.   +1 on the old market area.

Cookin in Texas
  • A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99

@jehaack Suprised to hear Omaha Prime has went downhill.  When we ate there it was top notch.  Food was excellent as well as service.  I take yelp reviews with a grain of salt. Typically only bitchers take the time to do the review sadly.

From a satisfied customer

• A2Z

It's been a few years since I ate there, but like I said I was unimpressed.  Some friends of mine went within the last year or so, and said they would never go back.  I'm sure like most things it can be hit or miss.  I'm glad you got a good meal there because it isn't a cheap place to eat. 

• Thanks guys! I am looking for homes and was told to live west.
  • I've lived in Omaha for a few years and absolutely love it. I live in West Omaha as well...lots of good restaurants, nice people, and great schools if you have children. Only a handful of Egg dealers as mentioned above. I normally buy lump from Walmart or Menards, but the Ace Hardware on 144 and Center has recently become a dealer and has a huge section of lump and accessories.
  • I'll have to keep all you guys in mind when I move up there(this weekend) in case I need any info. I'll be without my EGGs until I find a home. It's going to suck.
  • I live in West Omaha and can also offer help. I was transferred back to Omaha from Minneapolis a few years ago and love it here! Many good areas of Omaha to live, but I prefer West O to all of the others IMO.