Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Smoked Turkey?

fletcherfamfletcherfam Posts: 883
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone done a whole smoked turkey in a large? Wanting to do one for Thanksgiving.  What was your process? What wood do you use? How did it turn out? Typical questions.

Comments

• GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,419

I did a Smoked Cajun Turkey back in June. It was 18.5 lbs, bigger than I would usually do, but it was free. Brined for 24 hours, injected with Tony Cachere's Jalapeno Butter, rubbed down with Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom, smoked at 350 with cherry wood for 4 hours and 45 minutes. Good stuff.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• MickeyMickey Posts: 17,323
    edited September 2012

I spatchcock (cut out the backbone) all the time. Not sure if your question is as Griffin pictured or both ways. If spatchcock: 400 / raised / direct with very little cherry/pecan chips. If time I leave uncovered in fridge overnight (only if I have time). I like 11/12 lb turkeys as only takes a little over an hour to cook. I like a coffee rub on the bird. Also you never turn over the bird.

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

Forgot to mention, place setter legs up, drip pan underneath turkey. I'm sure Mickey's way works as well, I just haven't done it that way....yet. I've also done a Beer Can Turkey.

Richardson, Texas

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 19,152
    i like smoked turkey but for tday i go with a traditional roasted bird. its what people in my family would want. what you want to do is cook one before hand to see if low and slow works for you or if the roasted bird would go over better. you can add a little smoke to a roasted bird as well, pecan is good with turkey. heres a low and slow i did a while back, was shooting for a turkey pulled sandwich, went heaviey with the smoking wood

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1142418
  • Odd note I poit d out on my thread but 3 of 5 top topics are turkey related. Never seen turkey mentioned more then once a day before this.
    Boom
    Odd note I poit d out on my thread but 3 of 5 top topics are turkey related. Never seen turkey mentioned more then once a day before this.
    Wait till Thanksgiving or Canadian Thanksgiving roll around and that will be all you see until you are sick to death of turkey posts. (and then after that it repeats for Christmas with prime rib)

Richardson, Texas

• Griffin said:
    Odd note I poit d out on my thread but 3 of 5 top topics are turkey related. Never seen turkey mentioned more then once a day before this.
    Wait till Thanksgiving or Canadian Thanksgiving roll around and that will be all you see until you are sick to death of turkey posts. (and then after that it repeats for Christmas with prime rib)

ha nice. I just joined few months so like 90% now are pork butts or spatchcock
    Boom
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 17,323
    edited September 2012

As an aside: I like to cook the neck and gizzards as well. They are ready in about 25 min's and to me -- very good cooks food.

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now).