Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

italian bakery tray pizza

fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,657
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
no parchment was burned during this cook even though the recipe for reasons unknown called for parchment in the pan LOL

you put a quarter cup oil in the pan, sprinkle in some garlic salt and then add the dough, adds a flavorful crunch. this was the simple inexpensive bluecollar pizza found in italian neighborhoods, most were bakeries at one time. its basically crust and sauce, mostly no cheese, some used dry parmesian, it used to be served stacked in a donut box and its really good stuff. i made it two ways, one regular and one hamburger onion, i only remember one place that added anything other than cheese or pepperoni and their hamburger was my favorite. this isnt the big sicilian pies you mostly see now, its a bakery tray pizza, some here might call it beach pizza in this area

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Very interesting, definitely not something I am familiar with, in fact never heard of it. Ya learn something new around ehre every day. What kind of dough do you use?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    i did some googling and found this one, each place is diffferent so i went with this one with the oil in the pan with garlic salt, the one i grew up on definitly had cornmeal on the bottom, the roof of your mouth would be bleeding from the coarseness as you grabbed the next piece.
    http://un-thought.blogspot.com/2009/07/italian-bakery-pizza-recipe.html
    the sauce in the recipe didnt look right so i went with a whole can drained tomatoes and a half can pizza sauce, a half cup olive oil and the dried parmesian. some use a slice provo, some a light topping of mozzerella, one the cheap stinky cheese i used on the sauce pie. the hamburger and onion had some peeled parm. i think the idea was to make it simple and inexpensive but the one place that made the hamburger one made all kinds, an everything pizza there was 2 slices of each kind if pizza sold either full tray or half tray which was a good way to make everyone happy

heres the simple ingrediants

fukahwee maine

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Looks a little different and delicious!! I need to try this soon.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    That looks simple & Good, thanks.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Thanks for the response. Think I'll try it out, although I'll probably add more cheese so it won't really be authentic. hey....I like cheese, what can I say?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    Griffin said:
    Thanks for the response. Think I'll try it out, although I'll probably add more cheese so it won't really be authentic. hey....I like cheese, what can I say?
    its a tray pizza, you can make it several ways in the same tray at the same time. most common is a round slice of provolone dead center each square but dont underestimate the dry stinky cheese
    fukahwee maine

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks great and another new thing to try from this forum. That hamburger looks so good! Thanks for posting! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    Looks like the pizza I grew up with in Massachusetts at the corner stores. I'm going to give it try. Thanks for posting.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• Looks good, I have seen that type of pizza in various cafeteria style lunch places.  We make a focaccia bread that is similar but has a thicker crust.

Gerhard

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Nice job and it looks great.  +1 @Hic, we had similar you could get at convenience stores and many of the bars in town.  Served room temp.