Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork one day / Carnitas the next

Solson005
Solson005 Posts: 1,911
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
The egg got a good amount of use this past weekend. After doing the Paella on the LBGE! last week we noticed the good old felt gasket was starting to come apart. After talking to my dealer and getting a new Nomex one, we swapped it out on Wednesday and planned a low and slow to help break it in. After reading several posts we decided to try out Byron's Butt Rub and some Bone Suckin' Sauce. As with most things we have learned from everyone here they are a great combo for some Pork Butt. 
Friday night the two 8 Lb bone in butts got a good coat of Byron's and spent the night in the fridge. In the morning we fired up the LBGE and they went on at 07:30 with a 275° grid and the DigiQ Dx2 holding it steady. We decided to monitor the cook to see how its doing and checked it throughout the day. At 17:00 it was at 185° so we bumped the egg up to 300° and pulled the smaller one at 18:00 at 189°. The larger of the two got pulled at 19:30 with a grid temp of 319° with a internal of 195° 
It was super tender and jucy with a great bark. Bone Suckin' Sauce was quite different than most of the stuff they serve around here in Oklahoma but complemented the pork quite well. 

There only ended up being two of us to enjoy the pulled pork so we had plenty of leftovers. We decided to try out making fresh Masa Tortillas and have Carnitas Sunday night. After finding a Cast Iron Comal at Academy we had everything we needed.  
For the first time making these and not really knowing what to expect, they came out fantastic! 
After making a batch of tortillas I ran to the store to get some produce for two of Rick Bayless salsa and guacamole recipe. For anyone living or traveling through the Chicago area, do yourself a favor and checkout one of his three restaurants. He even has a couple at O'hare Airport. He also won the first season of Top Chef Masters, he also has multiple James Beard awards among many others. I decided with his Roasted Tomatillo Salsa and Grilled Garlic and Orange Guacamole both turned out really well and the BGE is a great way to roast all the veggies as it is coming to temp!

After throwing the Guacamole in the fridge we went outside I was checking out some new features of the Iphone and shot some panaorama pics of our eggs home. 

This one was me standing on the step of the pergola. 
Oh and the newest addition, the bottle opener and collector was well tested this weekend. 

Roasted peppers and onions went on the egg. 

After everyone arrived we just threw the pork on the Comal to reheat it and get a nice crust and served it up with all the Fixin's 

It was a great weekend and many thanks for the great input and advice we have gotten from everyone in the egghead community! 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• Nice!  We always have a Mexican feast a couple of days after a pulled pork cook using the left overs.
    Edina, MN

• Great post... =D> . The spread in the last pic looks so good!
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Very nice!! Looks really good and a great walk through of the cook. Love the pics!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    :-bd Awesome job and great work making your own tortillas. Some great looking pics. =D>

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• @solson005, Inspiration, Thank you, great pics - the new phone camera works quite well. 
    We have about 2# of PP leftover and I was wondering what to do with it - found a package of tortillas in the fridge and there is 1/2 case of Corona in the garage, you have provided the answer!
    Thanks for sharing. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited September 2012
    yes, we do the same.  In fact, my GF was going over what she wanted to have for this week, and luckily we still had some PP leftovers that I had done a few weeks ago that she had frozen.  So she can just take it outta the freezer, defrost it, and use it for quesadillas tonight!!

The way our work schedules are - I'll usually cook something on the Egg over the weekend such that we can eat on it for 2-3 days throughout the week.  Since I don't get home till late throughout the week, that's my contribution, and she can just reheat it & warm up some sides pretty quickly.  Works out nicely!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Solson005
    Thanks @Budgeezer @Mighty_Quinn @Mike8it it was a fun way to make use of delicious leftovers and break in a new gasket at the same time. This is a great way to remember the good things of your cooks and how to make them even better next time! 

@GriffinThe tortillas turned out really good for just following a recipe and slapping them on the egg. 

@Skiddymarker glad I could help, I like seeing everybody elses ideas to create stuff and have enjoyed everything so far! 

@Hillbilly-Hightech great way to plan out the week. Egg leftovers are the best! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Just did six pounds of pork shoulder on the Egg yesterday.  We'll definitely be using the leftovers for some quesadillas!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Solson005
    @YEMTrey that sounds good, it was a good weekend for a pig roast! I might have to make some quesadillas for lunch tomorrow..
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Agreed.  Perfect weather to be Egging.

If I hadn't drowned my sorrows so much on Saturday night due to Denard Robinson's play, I could have enjoyed Sunday even more, lol!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Solson005
    @YEMTrey Haha Yeah my Sooners forgot to show up to the game on saturday so I know how you feel. 
  • Solson005
    edited September 2012
    Look what showed up in the mail!! Time to see what the dizzy pig craze is all about! 

• We just had pulled pork leftovers as carnitas quesadillas and... O. M. G.  - dare I say it was better than when fresh!!!  

My GF reheated the pork by frying it w/ olive oil & Slap Ya Mama seasoning.  Frying it gave it a really nice "crispiness" and the Slap Ya Mama gave it an extra kick it didn't have when I first cooked it.  

Anyway, sorry, no pics (I know, didn't happen) - but daaaaaaang, for something that didn't happen, it was REALLY good!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Solson005
    Thats great @HIllbilly this has been the best round of leftover for us as well!