Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need suggestions for turkey drumsticks

FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
So wife picked up 2.5# of turkey drumsticks yesterday. How would you suggest cooking? I have never done turkey on the BGE before. Smoke? Raised direct? What about seasoning? Open to all suggestions. I'm off work today so I have time for any route. Thanks.
Boom

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited September 2012

Marinate in teriyaki overnight.  Cook indirect with alot of smoke at 250.

The link is about turkey thighs, but it works the same way with wings and legs.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1140954

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Drumsticks have a ton of connective tissue. To me, that says as low and slow as possible. Lots of herbs in a rub, with multiple moppings during the cook.  Get 'em as tender and tasy as possible.

On the other hand, they could be done "turbo." Higher temperature, dome 350, over a drip pan, for 45 min. Then into foil for another 30. Then unfoil for 15 - 20.
  • I am having for dinner tonight so can only marinade a few hours. I think I'll do low'n'slow method. I have some Jack Daniels chips I'll use. Plus with low'n'slow method I have more time to sit outside and drink while enjoying the weather B-)
    Boom
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited September 2012

Best part of the Turkey (IMO).....

Cook all the time (meat makes good beans instead of pork). I cook at 400 raised / direct. I never marinade anymore. I like Butt Rub and  sometimes the last 15 min's hit with Bone Sucking Sauce.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• That's exactly what I'm coking, 3 legs. Can't wait. Side not: 3 of top 5 threads just now were related to turkey. Kinda cool.
    Boom
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

In that cook the two for me was with Bone Sucking Sauce and the one for my wife was without.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• So I did them in a teriyaki and sesame sauce for few hours. Slow smoked. Once done I pulled like pork. I sautéed red and white onion, mushrooms, garlic, and carrots with some soy sauce. Then topped everything over white rice. Was pretty good.
    Boom
  • EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    edited September 2012
    Yours sounds and looks good Mickey. I will try it your way.