Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First try with a brisket- help!!!

Options
Wolfpack
Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
with all the great looking picks of the briskets you guys have finally convinced me that BBQ can be something besides pork:) Issue is only thing I could find was a 6 lb flat- no packers around. So how do I cook this thing and keep it from drying out? Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Greensboro, NC

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Thanks Phil- actually just saw this with a google search and sounds like a great way to go. Looks like this cooks faster so ballpark time maybe 9 hrs for 6 lb flat? For those that have used this method- sound about right?
    Greensboro, NC
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Yep. That sounds about right.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • BakerMan
    Options

Never tried just a flat.  Here is a webs site that helped me the first time I cooked brisket. 

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

It was a little nerve racking since the hunk of meat I was cooking (experimenting on) cost $37.00.  Turned out great though and I have cooked several since them.  Also I think BBQ baked beans cooked on the Egg are a nice addition to the brisket.

Since we are a single Egg family I have to plan my cooks to make sure I can get everything cooked on time.  I'll start a brisket early (6:00 am) and smoke  (220-250) it for about 5 hours.  At that point I'll wrap in foil and finish in a 220 degree oven.  Then cook ABTs and wings for appetizers.  While we are eating apps the BBQ baked beans go on the Egg for an hour or so.  By this time the brisket has finished and everything comes together for a "perfect storm" of goodness.  Damn I'm hungry now.

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"