Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

HELP, Please! Teal Ducks

gatorBGEgatorBGE Posts: 80
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Went out this am and brought in some BWT's.  I've heard smoked teal breast is yummy.  I already breasted, need advice on following plus whatever anybody may be able to add.

1.  Brine, Y or N?
Searching for the brine recipe I've seen on here

2. Smoking wood?  I have apple and peach available, plus hickory and oak, but instinct is telling me stick with the fruit.

3.  Rub?  Or just go plain?

Thanks in advance!
Large Egg October 2011
MiniMax December 2014
·

Comments

• apple would be the best wood. I've had applewood smoked duck many times and it's really good. Brining would be a good idea but I would probably just do salt, pepper, and smoke. I had some awesome smoked duck on Thursday- you are in for a treat

·
  • Thanks, CT....can't wait!

Large Egg October 2011
    MiniMax December 2014
    ·
  • Juniper berries crushed, thyme and garlic is good as well. Juniper compliments duck perfectly

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Soak in milk overnight. It helps get some of the gamey taste out. My favorite way to do wild duck breast is to do ABT's with them.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • I'm assuming these are not wild ducks........in september. If they are farm raised, they should not be gamey. If they are wild, the milk trick above by Travis works to mellow them out a little

·
  • I think the early teal season is in sept.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Yep, early teals...wild
    Large Egg October 2011
    MiniMax December 2014
    ·
  • gatorBGE said:
    Yep, early teals...wild

Aha. I've always been in January/Feb so news to me. Could be gamey as Trav said. It you have time, I would consider the soak

·
  • WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,347
    I think Travis is on track- you can also do a salty brine ( will also help get the blood/gamey taste out...) Didnt get the chance to go in early season but did get out drum fishing couple weeks ago and didn't see many ducks at the coast. Glad they were flying your way and happy you had some luck. Would like to know how they turn out- I always end of doing duck poppers with my wild ducks. Good luck and keep us informed.
    Greensboro, NC
    ·
  • brine in saltwater over night
    rinse off
    soak in italan dresssing over night
    wrap in bacon grill direct until med rare

I know this at least works for woodies and mallards

·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,262
    +1 with either salty brine or milk, never done it with duck, but with pheasant a 24 hour salt brine is my favorite way for that kind of game and doves as well.
    ·
  • Thanks guys, appreciate all the feedback!
    Large Egg October 2011
    MiniMax December 2014
    ·
  • A2ZA2Z Posts: 99

Have ate a lot of wild game over the years, but never cared for ducks and geese.  Best recipe I have heard yet is to take the duck or goose and boil it inside an old shoe for 3 days, throw the duck away and eat the shoe. :))

Just having a little fun, good luck.

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,148
    A2Z said:

Have ate a lot of wild game over the years, but never cared for ducks and geese.  Best recipe I have heard yet is to take the duck or goose and boil it inside an old shoe for 3 days, throw the duck away and eat the shoe. :))

Just having a little fun, good luck.

Wouldn't that create a very "fowl" odor in the shoe?  ;)
    ·