Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freezing dry aged beef

Options
Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've found a source of dry aged beef, but it's a bit of a hike. Going to be out there tomorrow and thought about stocking up, vacuum packing and freezing. Will that affect the beef for future use? I know I can dry age my own, and have done a 21 day age of a rib roast last year for Christmas but don't have the desire, time, space to do it at this time. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Dave in Florida
    Options
    I hope it doesn't effect it....I have been doing it for years.  I buy whole ribeye loins when they are on sale.  Have them cut 1 1/2" thick, vacuum seal and into the freezer.  Defrost, cook up and eat up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • RocEGG
    Options
    I would say it doesn't change the meat at all. I dry aged a packer ribeye primal this summer and had some leftovers. sliced it into steaks and vacuum packed them and stuck em in the freezer in july. Just took two out for dinner two nights ago and they were great, nice and firm, no off tastes or anything.
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Tj   I know we don't live terribly far from each other, where is your dry age source?
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    Stauffer of Kissel Hill, on the oregon Pike in Lancaster.  Went there today and had very little selection. I think it's hit or miss. They had some nice looking strip steaks, and that was it.  The Wegman's in Mechanicsburg just started selling it as well.  
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    you could just put it in the fridge and cut off a steak as you see fit over the next several weeks. stike gave me a cryovac 40 something dry aged steak years ago, i kept it in the fridge about two weeks before cooking.. if i where going to keep it a couple months, yeah, freeze it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Beef freezes as well as anything.   I try to keep my freezers as low as they'll go and take actions (depending on what it is) to protect from freezer burn.  Foodsaver is one of our saviors.
    Options
    Thanks all.  I freeze regular beef all the time, but was concerned it may somehow affect the dry aged beef differently.  It's a none issue for me now, as they didn't have near what I expected. If I do ever find the motherload, I'll freeze without concern.  Thanks.
    Options
    I just googled stauffer of kissle hill and there are five in the lancaster area. Maybe another one has a better selection.
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    Could be - I was pretty close to the Oregon Pike so that's the one I tried.  Next time I'm out that way I'll have to check out another one.
    Options
    @Brownie - if you do go to SKH, make sure you pick up some of Prime Rib Burgers. Fresh ground on site daily, frome 100% Prime Rib. They were buy one get one free yesterday, and I cooked them up tonight (sorry, no pics but it did happen). Amazing burger.
    Options
    Noted. thanks.