Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So firm...so moist....so pink (smoked salmon that is)

Options
Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
OK, I did that for you BakerMan.

The visiting daughter ordered hot smoked salmon this weekend.  50 freaking $ worth of salmon fillets were put on a cookie cooling rack, lightly rubbed with EVOO and then heavily coated with Treager's Sweet Rub.  They were then refrigerated, uncovered, for almost 24 hours.

Before smoking the salmon was allowed to sit on the counter for about 30 minutes.  One of the pics shows the amount of moisture that drained off overnight.

Done indirect, with a pan full of water for humidity, at about 150 for 90 minutes until just registering 130 throughout the fillets.  Allowed to cool on the counter, covered with foil, for about 30 minutes before we couldn't resist.  It will be even better tomorrow after refrigerated.

Used apple chunks for smoke.

Served on crackers with cream cheese, cucumber and onion.  There is no way to describe this batch other than gently cooked.  Very moist and mild, but the rub added a bit of kick.  One fillet held together pretty good for refrigerating, and the other really fell apart into big flakes.  I suspect if presentation was important I should refrigerate before handling.

Pics to follow.  A lot actually, so be patient for me to get them loaded.  If I don't do it this way, I can't see them afterward for some reason.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments