Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is there hope for this brisket?

jjmills
jjmills Posts: 117
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I decided to try a different method for brisket.  I decided to use Myron Mixon's method.  2-1/2 hours @ 350 then cover with foil for another 1-1/2 hours until 205 deg.  here is my problem.  After the 2-1/2 hours it was already 205 internal.  I pulled it and FTC.  What are my chances this will not be boot leather?
 LG. BGE  Straight up Cheese head from Little Chute, WI

Comments

• Stick it with a fork and see. 205 is 205 no matter how long it took.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • jjmills
    I poked it and it felt alright.  I guess i will find out in a few hours.  I might start cocktail hour a few hours early to ensure it tastes good.
  • jjmills said:
    I poked it and it felt alright.  I guess i will find out in a few hours.  I might start cocktail hour a few hours early to ensure it tastes good.

For sure interested in this one... seems quite fast, did you probe it in the thickest part, and in multiple parts?

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• jjmills
    Yes, I probed in three different places and they where all within a few deg.  I will let you know how it goes.  Will be eating for supper.
  • Im sure it will be just fine! Remember if it isn't, chop it and sauce it! Great sammys.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• jjmills
    I had a buddy drop off some brisket he made that was as tough as Chuck Norris.  I put it in a slow cooker with bbq sauce for a few hours and it tendered right up
  • Awesome, I learned te hard way months ago that a tough brisket should never be thrown away.... Lets juts say I had a good amount of "sauce" in me and was a little upset. :)

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    2 1/2 hours! How big was your brisket? I'm thinking it had to be pretty small or just a flat.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • My guess is it was a flat.

• jjmills
    Just a flat.  It was 10.2 lbs. pre trimming
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    That's a manly flat-you must have had a good fat cap on one side and as Travis notes-205 is 205.  You have several options as mentioned above-enjoy the eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jjmills
    Well the brisket turned out good.  It was very tender but a bit on the dry side.  I have to say I was very surprised with how well it turned out for being cooked in 2 1/2 hours
  • jjmills said:
    Well the brisket turned out good.  It was very tender but a bit on the dry side.  I have to say I was very surprised with how well it turned out for being cooked in 2 1/2 hours

That's what I suspected. Brisket really needs time for the collogen to break down (that is actually where all the moisture comes from in brisket and butts). There are ssome very famous places around here that do theirs in 4 hours. I can't stand them and never order brisket from any of them when I go there.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    I Agree with Cen-Tex.  But, have you calibrated your thermometer?  Maybe you were cooking hotter than you thought. 
    Mine was off by almost 30° and I didn't know it until the SGP (Smoking Guitar Player) mentioned calibrating in his forum.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • jjmills
    Ya I calibrated it on the last cook I did.