Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How big of a brisket on a large?

robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
We are having a birth day party for my son in 2 weeks. ~20 adults. I am guessing a 18-20 lb brisket? Will that fit on a large? If so or not what the biggest hat that will fit?

If it won't fit what can I do to make more food for the party on the egg?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• 17 is the biggest I've fit lying flat. You could fit a 20 if you lay it over a v-rack. What the hell are they feeding the cows in your area? I haven't seen a 20# brisket in a while

Butts are great for parties. You can easily feed 20 with 1 good sized but and it stays warm and reheats so much better than brisket. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited September 2012
    I agree with Cen-Tex finding a big ole brisket is harder to do in my neck of the woods than making them fit.  I use a metal bowl on the cooking grid to bend over the large briskets to make them fit. The meat will shrink up in a few hours after cooking.  The largest I've found and cooked were a little over 18lbs on the large BGE.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• I'd do 2 10lbers instead of one 20lber.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • robnybbq
    I have no clue on the brisket sizes but the family is requesting brisket. Will a 15 lb brisket feed 20 adults? Will serve sides of potatoes an beans maybe,

The pork butt is good but someone coming is allergic to pork (poor soul).

Garnerville, NY
  • 15lb brisket willl feed 20. it will be closer to 9-10lb when done but that's plenty.
  • robnybbq
    Hmm maybe a small butt and a brisket? If the fire is lit why not maximize the cook? :)

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq said:
    Hmm maybe a small butt and a brisket? If the fire is lit why not maximize the cook? :)

If you have room, go for it. I would let the brisket drip on the butt since you have someone "allergic" to pork. If the butt drips all over your brisket, that person isn't going to able to eat either