Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

hey sandbagger - i LOVE my wok ring!! w/pics

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
sandbagger was kind enough to make me a wok ring recently for my large egg . . . .. [p]DSCN1176.jpg[p]my wok fits right in it, really steady, right over the fire. .. .recently i did a batch of my prime rib/potato hash. ..it worked great... i didn't have to hold the wok in a gloved hand at all while tossing and turning the food....[p]i also did sesame string beans last week. .. . again, it worked so much better than when i used to just hold my wok sitting on top of the grid. . .. sorry, no pics of either of these cooks, but here is a previously posted pic of my set up for steaming mussels, which also worked quite well[p]DSCN1177.jpg[p]THANKS AGAIN TOM

Comments

• Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    shrimp.jpg
    <p />mad max beyond eggdome, vvvvvveeeeeerrrrrryyyyyyyy niiiiiiccccee. Sunday, the wife tackled her big project. She made and stained the cedar shutters for the front windows of the house; So I cooked: Trex and shrimp scampi. Woked the shrimp during the dwell and finished off in the upper foil, shrooms lower grid. Just a quick shake of the foil, a time or two. I keep forgetting the lemom at the end, dang it. LOL Glad you are enjoying it. I am going to do the beans, sound great. Tom[p]shrimpfoil.jpg
  • Unknown
    Options
    Sandbagger,[p]How much would you charge a fellow egghead from Georgia for them thar Wok rings? :-)
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    the string beans are great and simple. ...all i do is get fresh string beans. ..blanche them for about 3 minutes in rolling boiling water, then into a collandar under cold water. ...heat up the wok in the egg, put in sesame oil, stir fry the string beans for about 5 minutes, adding some sesame seeds after about 2 minutes. ..thats it, serve em up. . ..really tasty. .. i put a little chunk of wood in for this. ..the beans don't absorb too much smoke, but along with the sesame oil, its a nice combination of flavors. .. .

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    Geeeez...it's amazing to see all these neat Egg contributions coming out of the Lone Star State.
    Your wok ring, Lawn Ranger tools, chubby's gratemates, grillmeisters butt sauce, the T-rex method. Did I leave any out?
    That makes one hell of an Eggfest. I think I may just make it there next yr!
    ST

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Hi Max,
    Try the beans with mustard seeds and garlic. Way, way over the top.
    Cheers,
    G.

• Sandbagger
    Options
    Georgia Eggneck, There are several options to get one: Option 1: I can make one. Option 2: Visit a local weld or metal shop. If the metal shop can roll a 12 to 14 ring out of 1/4 inch round bar, you are good to go. I use 304 stainless as it should last a long time and not rust. [p]Making one is simple: 1. Take a measurement of your wok's diameter at the top (widest point), usually 14 to 16 inches. 2. subtract one or two inches from that measurement: subtract one if you want the wok closer to the lump, subtract two if you like it to sit higher in the egg. 3. roll the ring to that measurement and tack weld the flat bar to sit in those fire ring dimples. 4. Pop the top on a cold one, cause you are done. Can't drink and weld at the same time, unfortunately. [p]I need to mention, I am truly a rookie welder and ring roller. (Hey thirdeye, lit another rag over the weekend. This time not as big a surprise as the first time, just threw it outside on the driveway. That sound the rag makes when combusting, sure sounds cool.)[p]I'm guessing to make one and ship will probably be less than $20 (depending on S/H) plus one cold beer if we ever meet. [p]Option 3: Maybe Chubby can add it to his product line.

Option 4: A 16 inch diameter wok will sit completely inside the fire ring" therefore no need for a ring. With this size wok, you need to move fast, cause you do severly limit air movement as the wok totally covers the interior of the fire ring. [p]Tom [p]

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Gretl,
    stir fried? . ..what kind of oil? . ..

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    [p]I'll buy a slice of that torte' for a Dollar!![p]As to the oil...I'd use peanut.[p]Evabs

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I use canola oil or olive oil. Blanche the green beans, dry them, get the skillet hot, swirl in the oil and toss in about a tablespoonful of mustard seed. Just when they star popping, toss in the green beans and as many slivered garlic cloves as you desire. Doesn't take long at all until you're ready to eat.

• Sandbagger
    Options
    Gretl, Max also mentioned blanching. What does that accomplish over just dropping them in the hot oil. Thanks Tom