Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket in Apple Cider Vinegar?

Options
eggteeth
eggteeth Posts: 52
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Guy I work with swears that the best brisket he has ever made was done with soaking it in apple cider vinegar for 6-8 hours before rubbing, cooking, etc.  I had his brisket at our FF draft and it was very good.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Acids like those in vinegar and wine can turn meat into a mushy consistancy.  That said, maybe that's not a bad thing if it came out well.
    blasphemy............
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Nola is right. Marinades should be acid and oil, otherwise you will get pulp. Especially for that kind of time. Brisket on the egg can be a beautiful thing without marinade.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    I wonder if this was "soft" cider? Soft apple cider (not alcoholic hard cider) can be much less acidic than apple juice, which is between 3 and 4 on the PH scale as I recall, it is a an unpasteurized version of apple juice. Could be way wrong on this but I do recall picking up soft cider from a local orchard that was very good. 
    Much different than a wine or hard cider marinade.   
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!