Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need to tailgate with my BGE!!!

evan8818
evan8818 Posts: 21
edited September 2012 in Root
Hello! I am trying to take my LRG BGE to a tailgate but I have a tahoe and was wondering if there was a tail-hitch application (that doesn't cost $1,200) please help!!!!!
- GO FROGS - 

Comments

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    edited September 2012
    Why not buy something a little smaller and easier to move around? Say a small or 2 mini's. Then you would have 2-3 eggs at home as well.  :-c
    We take a small with us for tailgating and camping.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Evan, I take mine to all our tailgates (season tix) and I put it in the back of our SUV no problem. I use some straps to keep it from moving, but its easy enough.
  • friscoag said:

Evan, I take mine to all our tailgates (season tix) and I put it in the back of our SUV no problem. I use some straps to keep it from moving, but its easy enough.

What size is yours?
    - GO FROGS - 
  • Why not buy something a little smaller and easier to move around? Say a small or 2 mini's. Then you would have 2-3 eggs at home as well.  :-c
    We take a small with us for tailgating and camping.
    I bought a small for this purpose.  Now I have a small and a large!
    :-bd
    Flint, Michigan
  • My only question is storage during the game. How do you get a hot Egg back in your vehicle for the game? My large stays too hot to lift for 3+ hours after a cook. The mini, I understand. But, even a small, do you just put it back in your suv hot?
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited September 2012
    There are multiple topics on this. Use the search feature and you will see one I started way before the season was here. Lots of good info in there. As a Lions season ticket holder and an XL owner I ran the options over in my head. I ended up buying a large and it transports just fine. Getting a small is just too small for a tailgate. When I tailgate I throw down, so I need the grill space. The large with an adjustable rig is perfect. What you need to do is stop cooking at least an hour before you walk in, then REMOVE ALL LUMP from the egg. Leave the lid open and it certainly will be cool enough to put it in your vehicle within the time. I have cooled mine this way from 650 to barely warm to the touch within an hour. I have a navigator and it just goes right in the back. You have never removed the lump after a cook, I know this, you just close the vent and lid to snuff it out. This will stay hot for hours, remove the lump and lid open, your golden.

Go lions!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

On the forums you will find pic's of running water in them to cool down.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Thanks!!!!!!
    - GO FROGS - 
  • An your right about the closing it part!
    - GO FROGS - 
  • I have put my XL in my wife's Tahoe. Have to remove the back seats but it works.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • My dealer recently told me he needed to leave a demo, and ran a hose over his hot egg to cool it, not knowing exactly what would happen, but "thought it might work".

It did....amazing material our eggs are made of!

I commented a week or two ago, at the University of Oregon "Duck" games, they've now outlawed charcoal grills due to folks dumping out ash's everywhere in the parking lot.

RicklesssssssS in Oregon

• That is awesome! I thought the BGE would crack! To bad for the ban... TCU has been putting out steel drums in the lots just for charcoal... Hope they don't see what happened there.
    - GO FROGS - 
  • i've heard and seen videos of people running a hose thru the top vent to cool an egg after a competition. Personally, i wouldn't do it. get out my bbq bravo gloves, scoop out all the coal, take out the ring and the fire box, leave the dome open and it's cool within a couple hours. Usually between turn in time-awards it's room temperature.

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    I have put my XL in my wife's Tahoe. Have to remove the back seats but it works.
    I moved my XL about 5-7 feet to a new deck extension and that was enough for me. I applaud you!  =D>
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • There are multiple topics on this. Use the search feature and you will see one I started way before the season was here. Lots of good info in there. As a Lions season ticket holder and an XL owner I ran the options over in my head. I ended up buying a large and it transports just fine. Getting a small is just too small for a tailgate. When I tailgate I throw down, so I need the grill space. The large with an adjustable rig is perfect. What you need to do is stop cooking at least an hour before you walk in, then REMOVE ALL LUMP from the egg. Leave the lid open and it certainly will be cool enough to put it in your vehicle within the time. I have cooled mine this way from 650 to barely warm to the touch within an hour. I have a navigator and it just goes right in the back. You have never removed the lump after a cook, I know this, you just close the vent and lid to snuff it out. This will stay hot for hours, remove the lump and lid open, your golden.

Go lions!
    I use this method with my small and it works like a charm!  GO BLUE & GO LIONS!
    Flint, Michigan