Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leftover butt is dry

Options
Craigfoo
Craigfoo Posts: 1
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've done 2 butts and the flavor and moistness on the day of the cook is great.  However, the leftovers are dry and hard. Is there a method to preserving the moistness? Do folks store their leftovers in a broth? All suggestions helpful
Thanks

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    if your using a food sealer bag add some apple juice and when you reheat it that will help to keep it moist or if in a crock pot do the same add a bit of apple juice to the bottom of the pot first 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm not a big apple juice guy ( I don't like sweet Q) so I just sauce it a little when I reheat. Works perfectly. AJ will work, I just prefer savory over sweet so I use sauce. Your choice, either works
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I make up a vinegar sauce, like a north carolina style from what I hear but don't really know if its exact. Add some of that to the pork before refrigerating and add more if needed when reheating. Just a simple vinegar, salt, sugar, pepper, red pepper flakes and some hot sauce. 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Little Steven
    Options
    If you vacuum seal it and reheat in simmering water it won't be dry. I add stock to brisket but nothing with pork.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Smokin_Trout
    Options

Someone on here suggested using chicken broth- that's the best thing I've found.

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    +1 on the carolina sauce done that as well but not as many like that so i go with the 1/2 cup apple juice just enough to create moisture 

This is what i use for carolina red 
    1-1/2 cups apple cider vinegar 
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or hot red pepper flakes or add more for more heat 
    1- tablespoon sugar
    1- teaspoon salt 

Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • liquidicem
    Options
    The other thing is to remember what is actually making the fresh pork taste moist.  It is the perception of moisture from the melted fats mixed with the meat, not actual meat juices.  

When you reheat the meat, make sure you mix in some of that coagulated white fat from the bottom of the container, it will make a world of difference.