Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help with my butt

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
My last bb roast came out super tender and tasty but didn't shred. I'm going to do a large all nighter and need advice....what did I do wrong? I keep my temp right and checked the maverick till the end and let it rest. Ideas?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    If it didn't shred well, I don't think it was quite done yet.

Cooking to time/temp is just a rule of thumb.  The meat will let you know when it's done.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Thanks
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • calracefan
    Options
    +1 on the cook a little longer !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Cook until 195-205F internal and when the thermometer probe slips in with little resistance like it's a cube of ballistic jelly.
    Or if it is a bone in, wait til the bone basically falls out with a little tug

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• evan8818
    Options
    I have been leaving posts on ever convo that has pork in it hoping for some advise... I have two ten pound bb's and need to have them done by 7am Saturday... What temp and how long.
    - GO FROGS - 
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Figure on 1 1/2 to 2 hrs @ 250 * dome per lb. Pull at 195 * internal. If they get done in less than the 20 hr max, wrap in HD alum foil. Put a towel in the bottom of a cooler and wrap the butts in towels. They will keep for up to 4 hrs. Sounds like a tailgate cook to me ! :)>-

Opelika, Alabama
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    @evan8818

If I wanted them done at 7am, I would put them on at about 3pm the day prior, with a GRID temp of 260, where ever your egg settles in. If you have a controller, set it to 260 GRID. Come about midnight, you should have passed or be in the stall. You should be able to judge by this point if you are on target, remember, you can always wrap them in foil and crank the temp up to 350 to speed things up. I would venture to guess you will be done before 7am, just FTC at that point and take them where you have to take them.

ADVICE:

If you do not have a controller, DO NOT mess with lower tempts such as 250 dome, because this will likely be about 220-230 grid, without a controller stoking the fire while you are not attending it over night, your temp will drop to a temp that is too low to get your butts up to temp in time. This is why most of us will say to cook a little higher if you don't have a controller. Your egg will typically settle in naturally at about 260-280 DOME temp. It doesn't hurt to crank it a little higher either. Your temp will drop over night and if you are at low low temps your risking your fire going out.

Jason

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• evan8818
    Options
    Thanks Jason! I was thinking to start around that time or even earlier just to be on the safe side
    - GO FROGS -