Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Packer vs flat brisket?

Mole351
Mole351 Posts: 110
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
What is the difference and which is better? (obviously I assume the flat is flat...) Also, thinking about injecting with apple cider vinegar and looks like dizzy red eye is a popular rub. Smoke ~275 unil done. Any other suggestions? Sauce before pulling? If so what kind of sauce is good? Questions questions. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• The packer is good and the flat is ew gross. Forget you ever heard of a flat brisket.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • It's hard to describe but the packer cut is comprised of two very different types of meat that you will separate after cooking.  Here are a couple of links to get more information.

Great article - Mini course on Brisket cooking that will explain it all for you...
    http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

I thought this was cool also
    http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/virtualbrisket.html

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    The brisket flat is a lean muscle, not much fat.  The brisket point is a fatty muscle and more tender.  The flat is the "flat" thin end. The point is the big "pointy" end.  There is a hard fat layer that runs between both muscles.  The fat layer does not separate the muscles vertically but at a diagonal.  Leave this fat intact while smoking.

With rubs, just think beef.  Something similar to a good steak or hamburger is a good place to start.  Be generous, as it's a big hunk of cow.  

If you can smoke a butt, you can do a brisket, as the smoking process is very similar:  indirect set-up, smoking temp between 225 to 275 grid temp,  hard woods for smoke, 12+ hour cook,  stall (plateau) around 160 internal, pull around 195ish internal temp, wrap and put in cooler for an hour so. 

Couple keys to smoking a brisket.   The fatty side goes underneath when smoking on an egg.  Fat side underneath because the fire is underneath.  Prior to smoking, trim this fatty side so the fat layer is approx. 1/4 thick.  Important to leave the fatty area between the muscles.  Trim off the silverly looking skin on the meaty side.  There is one small and thin fatty area (in addition to the fat layer separating the muscles) atop the meaty side. Just leave it alone, as it runs deep into the muscles.    

Butts ya pull, the brisket flat is sliced against (key) the grain in 1/4" thick strips and the point is either cubed for burnt ends or sliced like the flat.  One thing about brisket, especially the flat, is it dries out quickly, so slice it right before serving.  The closer to serving the better.   

Burnt ends are easy to do.  Basically separate point and flat when done, cooler flat and keep point out.  Then while still hot, slice point into cubes, sauce heavily and put back on smoker at higher temp to glaze the sauce on the cubed chunks.  Use an open foil "boat" when putting sauced cubes back on smoker.

Couple places where folks go wrong on brisket.   First they buy too small a flat or packer.  For flats, my minimum is 5.5 pounds and at that, it's Choice grade.  For packers, 9-14 pounds fits nicely on a large egg.  With flats, try to find one that is even thickness, good chance it will have a little point to help with juices.   It's generally a cheap meat, so Choice grade or better when possible.

Second, it's beef, so like steak, it benefits from a rest.  So, an hour or so in a cooler is a good thing.  

Third, folks slice brisket to early and it dries out.  Closer to the serving the time, the better.  Also, it's important to slice against the grain.  Thin slices are better than thick slices.

Fourth, if you love brisket with bbq sauce, chopped brisket drenched in sauce and put back on the egg to glaze the sauce (burnt ends like) is better than sliced brisket with sauce poured over it.

Hope this helps. t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Great post T!

Just put that post in Word and printed it off.  I'll be trying my first brisket shortly and this will be my go to document.

Thanks!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Mole351
    Mole351 Posts: 110
    WOW - thank you...MUCH more than I expected. Definitely excited to cook this weekend! YEMTrey - dig your handle. My favorite band ever...not even close
  • Good luck, make sure to take lots of pics and share your experience! Enjoy the festivities! Also a few drinks!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• My mom is looking forward to doing her first brisket in her brand new small egg.

Any comments as far as what size packer to look for?

Maybe use a rib stand and have 2 slabs standing up edge-wise?

I don't worry about size too much with my large, but don't know about the small...

Thanks...

RicklesssssssS in Oregon

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    For a whole packer in a Small, it'll have to be pretty small. Here's one I cooked that was 10 lbs before trimming & it was a tight fit: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1142879/packer-brisket-on-a-small-egg#latest

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Thanks for that summary tjv, have filed it for next brisket.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    If you can get a packer go for it.  
  • @ricklesss

I would wait for @The Cen-Tex Smoker to chime in, he is one of the most experienced brisket guys here. He has cooked hundreds.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited September 2012
    Tom's write up is perfect. I wouldn't change a thing. He's a brisket pro and you won't find better advice from anybody. I think this is a go-to thread for anyone that wants to cook a good brisket.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Good call John, that is a great write up. I have bookmarked it for future use.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited September 2012
    I didn't chime in because I didn't want to muddy the waters on this thread. It's really good for someone that wants to learn to do real low and slow texas brisket. best on the forum for sure. Anyone who wants to give a TX brisket a shot, bookmark this and do it step by step.
  • I will be doing one as soon as I get back from Nashville!

• I will be doing one as soon as I get back from Nashville!

I'm doing one tonight! TFJ has really cool idea for an app that were are going to test out too. should be really good. We plan to roll it out at the Salado Eggfest if it works out like I think it will
  • I can assist if needed.

• Go to bbqbrethren.com and use their search feature about brisket. There is no larger or better BBQ message board out there. Not even close. That is my primary board.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited September 2012
    EggerinLA said:
    Go to bbqbrethren.com and use their search feature about brisket. There is no larger or better BBQ message board out there. Not even close. That is my primary board.

THX, will check it out. I have cooked them, but want to really hit a home run... this is my first one...