Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

price of table?

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I built my own table and would like to get opinions on what a reasonable price would be to ask for it.
52x28
Ipe wood frame. 3 times the density of oak and a fire rating of concrete. Frame is bolted.
Two layers 3/4 pw with tile backer on both levels
Imported slate stone top with epoxy grout
4 coats of tung oil and 4 coats of stone sealer
Decorative ss hooks
5 inch casters

I have around $550 in it and about 16 man hrs.

I appreciate your opinion
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    Why would you want to sell it?
  • I'm not asking to be sarcastic, but can you give me a breakdown on the $550?  I made a cheap stand to put next to my small and have about $55 in it including wood. bolts, casters and a granite top (granite was a remnant and cost me a case of cheap beer).  Again, I'm not being sarcastic. I really like your stand and am seriously interested in how the costs break down.

Jeff

• henapple
    The Ipe is really expensive as is the grout. Ipe ran around $6 per ft. The grout is what we use in restaurants...heat and freeze resistant.
  • henapple
    Psalzer....just enjoyed doing it and of course I would add some frills.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I can see how.  IPE is around $15 bf.  You probably have 15-25 bf at $250-375.  Then two sheets of 3/4" plywood - around $80.  fiberboard backer, another $30.  Slate - probably $60.  Castors - $35.  Misc (grout, thinset, screws, finish, etc) another $50.  Stuff adds up fast.

I'd figure materials plus you want $40/hr.  If it doesn't sell, you'll need to lower your price.
    Nola...you must be in the business. I build a bunch of stage props for my daughter's dance team. The second time is always better.
  • nolaegghead
    henapple said:
    Nola...you must be in the business. I build a bunch of stage props for my daughter's dance team. The second time is always better.
    Not professionally, but I'm a big DIY guy that likes to make furniture and do projects.  I know how that stuff adds up. :)

I'm not asking to be sarcastic, but can you give me a breakdown on the $550?  I made a cheap stand to put next to my small and have about $55 in it including wood. bolts, casters and a granite top (granite was a remnant and cost me a case of cheap beer).  Again, I'm not being sarcastic. I really like your stand and am seriously interested in how the costs break down.

Jeff

$55??  Holy crap, my casters alone cost more than that!!  I think they were like $22 PER caster or something.  But then again, I got 360-swivel, w/ brakes, 250# capacity each. 
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • henapple
    Mine don't have brakes...they're rated at 350. Need it too...she's heavy.
  • nolaegghead

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2001989/3723/3-caster-double-locking-swiveling-with-4-hole-mounting-plate-414-tall.aspx - 3", $18.99, 300#

OR:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2001989/3722/4-caster-double-locking-swiveling-with-4-hole-mounting-plate.aspx - 4", $20.50, 300#

And then the super heavy-duty spring touch latches I got were more than $55, as well as the 24"x24"x3/8" Travertine tile was also more than $55.  And then the wood, the hooks, the magnets, the piping, the steel channel, the bike hanger (and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other misc items). 

Not to mention the Fein Multimaster & various other tools I just *HAD* (ok, wanted) to buy!! :))

So yeah, $55 for all the materials is INCREDIBLY cheap!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • henapple
    I didn't add in all the beer I drank while working...I'm not gonna say how much that adds.
  • henapple said:
    I didn't add in all the beer I drank while working...I'm not gonna say how much that adds.
    yeah, let's not add that in, that would double the price!!  :D
  • henapple
    And I forgot the cigars...crap.
  • nolaegghead
    If I added up the prices of all the tools I used to build my table...I don't even want to think about it :)

I buy the "Mercedes" of tools - Festool.  Ridiculously expensive, but so worth it.  Fein is an excellent brand too.
    I'm in the restaurant facilities business so I have must of what I need. I thought about building a few tables and selling them. Look at what some stock tables cost.
  • nolaegghead
    Oh yeah, "fuel" (aka booze, beer)....that makes everything I make expensive. :)
    edited September 2012
    I actually got into a discussion about this w/ an employee at a furniture store awhile back.  Even your "better" furniture stores utilize solid wood framing, and either particle board / MDF, or some other cheaper wood for other pieces, then veneer.  Most of your cheaper stores don't even use solid wood for the framing (think Ikea, etc). 

I asked why they (his business) did this, and his response was that people wouldn't buy the same thing (we were looking at entertainment centers) if it cost $2000-3000 (which is what the cost would be if it were all made out of solid wood).  As it was, the cost was about $600 for the entertainment center. 

So yeah, REAL wood furniture, made w/ REAL craftsmanship & REAL skill, is REAL expensive!!
  • nolaegghead
    Yeah, if you want to buy furniture that will last for generations, like the old antiques we still see in circulation, it needs to be made with the proper materials and joinery.  The flat-pack stuff you buy from Ikea, Target and Wal-mart is "disposable".  It's water soluble, and it doesn't survive moving very well.
    "friends don't let friends buy particle board" :)

If I keep this one...I told my 13 year old son he'd get it one day. Hopefully later than sooner.....
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    edited September 2012

I actually got into a discussion about this w/ an employee at a furniture store awhile back.  Even your "better" furniture stores utilize solid wood framing, and either particle board / MDF, or some other cheaper wood for other pieces, then veneer.  Most of your cheaper stores don't even use solid wood for the framing (think Ikea, etc). 

I asked why they (his business) did this, and his response was that people wouldn't buy the same thing (we were looking at entertainment centers) if it cost $2000-3000 (which is what the cost would be if it were all made out of solid wood).  As it was, the cost was about $600 for the entertainment center. 

So yeah, REAL wood furniture, made w/ REAL craftsmanship & REAL skill, is REAL expensive!!

This is so true. My wife is an artist and I'm a woodworking hobbiest. People don't realize the hours it takes to craft quality products. My wife spent over 30 hours on a charcoal portrait of Jack Nicholson. Someone offered her $50. She politely said to add another zero.

I built solid cherry cabinets in my bar. 1 sheet of cherry plywood cost $120.
    Mark Annville, PA