Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump sorters ... I have a question??

miscjames
miscjames Posts: 78
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
For those of you that sort your lump. (As I think I might start doing this). What do you store your lump in after you sort it? 

I have noticed a big benefit in storing the lump in the house vs in the garage when I buy it. 

I have some five gallon buckets with seal able lids I was thinking of using but I might need something to absorb the extra moisture as I live in FL. were the humidity is very high (suggestions anyone if i go this way?). Any and all suggest Welcome. Pictures even better... 

Comments

• I store mine in a sealable plastic container too and if we get lots of rain, I put an uncooked bag of success rice in the container. So far it's worked. I figured it works for cell phones why not lump charcoal?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    What's the point of sorting lump?  I've been using the egg for over 10 years and have yet to do anything but dump and light.

I store mine in the bottom of the pantry.  Just roll the bag closed and toss it in the closet until the next time.

That being said, I really don't think moisture has a noticeable affect on lump, especially from humidity.  I had a full bag orf lump that was left open in the rain by a few dimwits in Georgia this past May.  It was literally soaked to the point the bag tore apart and the dripping wet lump was put into a garbage bag.  I left it a few days and decided to use it.

I just dumped it in the egg, lit it, and it burned with no problems.
  • What kind of idiot would leave lump in rain?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• What kind of idiot would leave lump in rain?

meekly raises hand

/ducks

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    I'm a dump and go kind of guy as well. Long cooks, short cooks, it don't matter. Dump, light, cook. BAM!
  • JWBurns said:
    I'm a dump and go kind of guy as well. Long cooks, short cooks, it don't matter. Dump, light, cook. BAM!
    Me too.... but add drink beers between light and cook.
  • walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    Like I said on a previous post.....sorting lump is as worthless as tits on a boar hog!
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Dump and go.  Sorting lump reminds me of this guy....
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • My big interest is storage. I like the rice idea. (also thought about making my own Lump). the wet lump probably worked good . But I have noticed better performance out of the lump that I keep in the house. Which I can tell if i get go get a big order the wife isn't going to like that much. 99% of the time I Dump and go.  I am more interested in saving some of the bigger pieces if i do sort. 
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    edited September 2012
  • I use 5 gallon buckets I got at the paint store that have re-sealable lids. They are easy enough to move around and dump lump into my egg and I built my table with the bottom shelf high enough for them to slide under.  I usually just dump from the bag into the buckets, but I have another bucket that I reserve for big pieces.

Jeff

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited September 2012
    I have 2 Rubbermaid containers that slide under the lower shelf of the BGE cypress table for my XL.  I dump the bag into the one that normally holds smaller pieces and pull the bigger chunks and put them into the other container for long cooks on giant Iowa corn fed animal parts.  Usually takes about a minute or two.  This will likely end after I get a powered draft controller of some sort.  Still trying to decide which controller I like best but I may just home build one.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • LeoHat2 said:
    What kind of idiot would leave lump in rain?

meekly raises hand

/ducks

Man I was the lead dimwit in that case

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I don't 'sort" but I do "sift", when the time comes...

I buy 5 or 6  bags of Lazarri Mesquite lump that comes in 40lb bags (for cheap; at "Cash and Carry $12)

I always end up with a ton of "fines" that don't get used when I "dump and light".

I wait untill all 5 or 6 bags have a bunch of fines, then dump them through a 1/2" grid "hardware cloth" and onto the overturned lid of a plastic garbage can.

The lid can be lifted up and curled a little to dump back into a lump bag for re-use.

I end up with a lot of definitely usable lump, and a lot of pure powder, which goes into the garden.

Just my .02

RIcklesssssssS in Oregon

• Another dump and light fan.  I do pull out some of the huge chunks and set them aside in a separate (formerly empty) lump bag, to be used for a future long low / slow cook.  All lump is stored in the garage in original bags, humidity and all (even have moisture wicking up through the concrete floor), no issues with lighting.  
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Been just dumping and lighting since I got my egg.  Never a problem.  Just dump it, light it and cook.  Lo and slo, fast and hot, it doesn't matter.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • no need to sort, this is good container/carrier.