Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Salt Lake area- questions

LeoHat2LeoHat2 Posts: 32
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

<delurk>

I moved to SLC from the Seattle area back at the beginning of July. I have a couple of questions for Eggers in the SLC area.

1) What grocery stores have a good meat department? The nearest Smiths meat dept. SUCKS. The Rancho Market nearby has a much better selection but the prices are kinda high-ish. They are not highway robbery or anything but not a screaming deal either.

2) Where can I get my Wicked Good lump? I'm missing Restaurant Depot already

3) Anything else I should know about Egging in SLC?

Comments

  • You might try Snider Bros. or Harmons for your meat.  This comes from a friend who's lived there many years since I'm not there myself.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,742
    I was going to suggest Snider's also.  The branch up here in Ogden closed about a year ago  :((  but I think there's still an open one in SLC proper.  Props to Harmon's too (their new cheese shops are fantastic!)  
    _____________________________________________
     
    Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  
     
    Ogden, Utard.  
  • Thanks, I'll try Snider's. I have a Harmon's right around the corner. Their meat selection is only marginally better than Smiths.

    Is there anywhere I can get kosher (all beef) bologna? Neither Smiths nor Harmon's nor WinCo has any all beef. Just Oscar Meyers, which even my cats don't like.

    Where can I get my Wicked Good charcoal fix? I'm almost out.




  • MikeGMikeG Posts: 174
    edited September 2012

    I buy tri-tip, butts & spares at costco, pork for mincing at Rancho, very little at Harmons since they lost their lamb vendor, pork belly at Oceans chinese market on 90th and 150 west. 

    Welcome to life behind the Zion Curtain.   It's not so bad here really  :)>-

    Edit:   Sundance Spas down on 93rd South on the I-15 frontage road has bags of Kamado Joe lump, which is south american and I believe the same thing as the current WW product.  I think he asks $22 bag but discounts to $20 if you buy 4 or so.     I ordered in 5 bags of WW from Ace in Olympus Cove.   It's fine but I can live without it. 

  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,742
    LeoHat2 said:  Is there anywhere I can get kosher (all beef) bologna? 

    Botch here, I've got a glitch that won't let me tab out of the Quote box.
    Forgive me for giggling here, but as MikeG alluded to above, finding anything kosher in Utard will be, uh, challenging... 
    :D
    _____________________________________________
     
    Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  
     
    Ogden, Utard.  
  • MikeG said:

    I buy tri-tip, butts & spares at costco, pork for mincing at Rancho, very little at Harmons since they lost their lamb vendor, pork belly at Oceans chinese market on 90th and 150 west. 

    Welcome to life behind the Zion Curtain.   It's not so bad here really  :)>-

    Edit:   Sundance Spas down on 93rd South on the I-15 frontage road has bags of Kamado Joe lump, which is south american and I believe the same thing as the current WW product.  I think he asks $22 bag but discounts to $20 if you buy 4 or so.     I ordered in 5 bags of WW from Ace in Olympus Cove.   It's fine but I can live without it. 

    I completely forgot about Costco. It's not on my way home anymore (actually there were 3 Costco's on my way home.back in PNW)

    Pork Bellies eh. Sounds like some homemade BACON! 

    As for Bologna, It doesn't have be kosher just all beef. I think that that the beef,chicken,pork combo bologna is a crime against food. 


  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,223
    I live in Saint George and I feel your pain!  Harmons has the best meats around here, they have 28 day dry aged steaks and some decent in house sausages/brats.  Can be a little pricey when compared to Smiths or Costcos but one thing I learned about Smiths is each location is its own monster some are great and clean some are just horrid.
  • MikeGMikeG Posts: 174

    Costco has some jumbo packs of all beef kosher hot dogs, but I've not tried them.

    Pork belly is for this and other asian must-make dishes:

    http://redcook.net/2009/03/01/red-cooked-pork-redux/

    I know two commercial butchers who seem to enjoy selling to home cooks. 

    Palace Meats on 500 S. and 700 E. and Majestic Meats on 1700 S. and ~ 150 West.   You'll want to call either of them before you go in as they don't have store fronts or retail areas. 

    For my needs Costco works just as well (beef I cook is tri-tip rather than brisket).

  • MikeGMikeG Posts: 174
    U_tarded said:
    I live in Saint George and I feel your pain!  Harmons has the best meats around here, they have 28 day dry aged steaks and some decent in house sausages/brats.  Can be a little pricey when compared to Smiths or Costcos but one thing I learned about Smiths is each location is its own monster some are great and clean some are just horrid.

    Heh.  It was only about 6 years ago that some auditor figured out that St. George City had been picking up the electricity bill for the St. George temple for DECADES lol !!   City officials tried to 'splain it under the rug saying that said temple's status as a tourist attraction justified the expenditure of public funds.

    It's not just the plyg's trying to "bleed the beast" down there.

    Back on topic - you've no desire to buy excellent tri-tip, spares, chicken etc at Costco?

  • I get beef at Harmon's, the dry aged stuff is awesome. I get almost everything else from Costco.

    John - SLC, UT

    Webers, Eggs, Bubba Keg, Smokin-It #3

  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,223
    MikeG said:


    U_tarded said:

    I live in Saint George and I feel your pain!  Harmons has the best meats around here, they have 28 day dry aged steaks and some decent in house sausages/brats.  Can be a little pricey when compared to Smiths or Costcos but one thing I learned about Smiths is each location is its own monster some are great and clean some are just horrid.



    Heh.  It was only about 6 years ago that some auditor figured out that St. George City had been picking up the electricity bill for the St. George temple for DECADES lol !!   City officials tried to 'splain it under the rug saying that said temple's status as a tourist attraction justified the expenditure of public funds.

    It's not just the plyg's trying to "bleed the beast" down there.

    Back on topic - you've no desire to buy excellent tri-tip, spares, chicken etc at Costco?

    Too funny didnt know that I got transferred here 4 years ago but the good ol' boys are always up to some Tom foolery.

Sign In or Register to comment.