It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340
I am driving 2 1/2 hours each way on Friday to pick up a used LBGE. I would like to have everything on hand so I can start cooking right away. (Yes, I'm a little obsessed about this!) So I have some questions.
1. Do I have to have a wireless thermometer? I am hoping to wait and ask Santa to bring me one of those. I have a meat thermometer but won't the temperature drop every time I open the lid to check it? I am used to cooking by the clock so this is a new experience. Are there any general guidelines?
2. Is the Cowboy charcoal that they sell at Lowe's okay to use?
3. Is there a logical progression that will help to learn about using the BGE like hamburgers first, then chicken, and last a pork butt?
4. I have the meat thermometer, a platesetter, the grill lifter and firestarters. I will pick up charcoal. Is there anything else that I absolutely should have to start?
5. Would it be a good idea to attend the Eggtoberfest in Atlanta on October 19th? Do they have good prices on the accessories?
Thanks for all of your help. I've been reading this forum for several days and you all seem like a great group of eggheads.