Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spanek Vertical Roaster Instructions

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like to try this method and have read some of the posts below as well as looked at the Spanek website. Could someone that has done this tell method tell me if the instrucions for this method in an oven work for the Egg. I am talking temps and time.[p]I am also assuming you would not use a plate setter?[p]Thanks

Comments

• bostonbuttsox
    Options
    I have made them a couple of times using fresh jalepenos. Mine have not been hot. When removing the seeds, I also remove the white veins the seeds cling to. I am not sure if this has anything to do with the heat but I served some to guest who do not like spicy food during the 4th and they liked them.

Like all post say, experiment...If it turns out good, let us know about what you used.

Thanks.....
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Use oven instructions. I generally cook my chickens direct.[p]Toy Man
  • Matanuska
    Options
    I tried to duplicate the oven directions on my large BGE & didn't have much luck. The Spanek directions for chicken call for an initial 15 minute 450 F "sear" followed by a 350 F cook for 15 - 18 min/lb. Problem was, I couldn't get my egg to cool off fast enough from 450 F to avoid burning the outside of the chicken before the inside was done.

I decided that next time I'll try for a constant 350 cook and not worry about the "magic searing that closes all the pores inside your poultry keeping in all the natural juices" as described in the Spanek directions.

Has anybody had success following the Spanek oven directions?
  • Toy Man,[p]
    Thanks.

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Maverick,
    Several years ago, I searched for a vertical cooking unit. A local BBQ shop had a complete set of Spanek on sale. I bought the set.[p]The set had no base. I corresponded with the inventor & he sent me an updated set with a base...like a drip pan you would place under most cooking.[p]I cook all fowl on the Spaneks. I have tried other vertical systems but prefer the Spanek because the birds cook on the outside & on the inside. The opening is like a flue in that heat rises up & out the chimney.[p]We keep no juices. All the "stuff" cooks out & ends up in the drip pan.[p]My immediate family will only eat fowl that is cooked the Spanek way.[p]I spritz once an hour with one bottle of olive oil & one of apple juice. [p]I cook to temp not to time. I insert a polder in the breast. I also lay or set a thermometer on the grill.[p]I cook the orginal American Turkey & capons & cornish game hens regularily. [p][p]