Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Temp Control Unit

pileit1971
pileit1971 Posts: 136
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Looking for recommendations for temp control unit, thinking of investing in one as I am planning on more long and slow cooks and figure its worth the investment.

I know the DigiQ is one of the most expensive, is it the best? or over rated?

Also is the DigiQ able to be out in the weather?  I saw a previous thread about different ways to weatherproof these systems and wasn't sure if that is needed for th DigiQ.

Any advice, information is greatly appreciated...
Thanks
Scott K
Large BGE
Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio

Comments

• this has been asked a hundred times over, and it's a tough one. You've got about 4 options.
    1.) rocks bbq stoker - can control multiple cookers, and have multiple temp probes, all viewable and changeable thru a web interface. Different size fans for different size cookers. I believe up to 6 food probes and 2-3 cookers. You will need to buy an appropriate fan and additional probes to make this system work $400+ for a single cooker.
    2.) BBQ Guru products - they have a full line up, from a wifi model, single and dual cooker, food temp probe, ramp down features, cook and hold $275-500. 
    3.) IQUE 110 - simple bare bones unit, no food temp probe, no internet, no wifi. ALL CONTAINED IN ONE UNIT! In my opinion, one of the easier ones to water proof. Get a waterproof box, put a 2 inch 90degree elbow into it and run the air and temp probe and hose out. only thing that connects directly to the egg is a temp probe and a rubber air hose, fans built in. $150
    4.) ebay an auber temp controller, similar bare bones unit. 

all depends on what you need, how much you want to spend.  For me, we're talking BBQ here, not a missile launch. I don't need to change my cooker temp on my phone or watch a graph. So i went with the cheaper, and in my opinion more durable option. look into all of them and see what works best for your needs.

• Just got a CyberQ WiFi last week and did my first cook (2 butts, 18.5 hour cook).  It was SENSATIONAL!
    Smoke On!
  • I got a DigiQ2 and I like it very much.  Whichever system you choose, you will have to have a plan for wet weather because water and electronics seldom mix well.  I like the box I saw on a thread here the other day.  I think I might make one of those.
    Flint, Michigan
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I got a DigiQ2 and I like it very much.  Whichever system you choose, you will have to have a plan for wet weather because water and electronics seldom mix well.  I like the box I saw on a thread here the other day.  I think I might make one of those.

+ 1

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    edited September 2012
    I got a DigiQ2 and I like it very much.  Whichever system you choose, you will have to have a plan for wet weather because water and electronics seldom mix well.  I like the box I saw on a thread here the other day.  I think I might make one of those.

+2
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. AKA the one you have. 

Now stare at your navel and contemplate what you have leaned. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I was going to buy one when I first got my egg, but after several low and slows with no issues, I decided to stick with manual control. I've run my XL on 2 different occasions for 22 hours straight with no more than 10 degrees dome temp fluctuation.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • I have the latest version of the Stoker. Absolutely love it. I agree with those who say that temp controls aren't a necessity, but they sure are great when you want to do a low and slow during the work week. It's one thing to have a reasonable idea that your temp will remain constant, but being able to absolutely know what is going on from 20 miles away while sitting in your office is great. As far as weather is concerned,there are many posts on here that show examples of how people keep their devices out of the rain. Herein the midwest that's a problem we would love to have
    Overland Park, Kansas
    XL
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I was going to buy one when I first got my egg, but after several low and slows with no issues, I decided to stick with manual control. I've run my XL on 2 different occasions for 22 hours straight with no more than 10 degrees dome temp fluctuation.

+1. Unless doing competition cooks, the Egg is so easy to control temp I agree with manual control. Have done up to a 27 hour cook with little or no adjustment once dialed in. If you do go with a controller, I'd highly recommend learning how to control manually first. Watching the premier of 'Revolution', what are you going to do after the blackout.
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    These posts always tickle me.  The owners all love the control units.  The non-owners all say you really don't need one. 
  • I don't think it's a matter of "I need this or that" with the Egg.  If the standard for purchasing any eggcessories is need, we would all have fewer things and more money in the bank.  If you want it, buy it.  I like my DigiQ because I trust it to mind the Egg when I can't.  Do I need it?  No.  I like gadgets and electronic doodads because I think they're fun.  Enough said. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • AZbge
    AZbge Posts: 96
    Apparently, I haven't been as lucky as some. I've done a few overnights on my XL and not once has it held the temp. My fire grate gets plugged and I'm out there with my wiggle rod. And yes, I build my fire using the biggest pieces at the bottom and work my way up. I broke down an ordered a DigiQ last week. Haven't used it yet but looking forward to using it and sleeping through the night. I, like Fred, like gadgets. Did I need it, no. Did I want it, yes.
  • it's funny. I know i can control my egg without it. But not having to walk outside and check the thermo every hour and fiddle with the vents is quite nice. I also feel that a temp control unit brings a certain level of true convection cooking to the egg, slightly speeding up all my cooks. Just makes it easier to do things alongside of tending your egg. You want to bake? light it, set it to 350 and come back in a hour. No watching and chasing etc
  • When I saw the price of the DigiQ system I was amazed.  Whoever markets these accessories must also sell some good Kool-aid.  You must be joking?  $300+, I will stick with my Maverick.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Stopped doing low & slows so no need for one. Turbo butts/ribs work fine for me.

Sold my DigiQ and now have a PartyQ that I am not in love with, just no need to screw with not doing low/slows.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• For those having issues controlling temps - do you have a High-Que grate?  

I would suggest to anyone who is thinking about purchasing a fan (and that's essentially what any of these controllers are) but you're not sure you wanna spend that much money - to first pick up something like the High-Que grate (you don't actually have to spend that much, you can spend like $10 & get a 10" grate & use that for now).  

Then see if you're still having trouble maintaining temps.  

Ever since I got my High-Que grate, I've had absolutely NO problems doing high heat, low & slows, 10+ hr cooks, etc.  

When you break it down, fire = fuel + air.  You can get the air either by a fan, sitting by the Egg all day w/ bellows, or by increasing the air "holes" coming up into the lump (ie, fuel).  The original cast iron fire grate limits the amount of air that can flow to the lump (along w/ the top & bottom vents).  So by increasing the size and/or amount of holes (effectively what a High-Que does), you're increasing the amount of air that can flow to the fuel, withOUT worrying about the holes getting plugged up w/ ash (as in the case of the original cast iron grate). 

HTH,
    HH
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I have a Stokers and would buy it again in a second. It works perfect. I know the egg can maintain temps good but I want 8 hours of great sleep and not get up to check on it. A great bonus is being able to leave home and check in/ change temps on my cook using my phone.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Stoker Wifi and can monitor it from any internet connection or phone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • 90 percent of my cooks are low and slow....and I mean low, 215-225

I have had my Stoker around 3 years and I love it