Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smokin applewood?

Options
aaron
aaron Posts: 3
edited September 2012 in EGG Table Forum

Hello all,

I have an old apple tree that had fire blight.  I cut it down and have some very good wood to use that was still producting leavse and fruit and I plan using once it's "seasoned" 

There is also some dead wood that had fire blight lower down. Two questions.

• Can I use this dead wood for smoking?
  • The wood with fire blight can that be in the egg or should i just use that wood in my campfire?

Aaron

Aaron

Comments

• smokesniffer
    Options
    I have some apple tree wood too, Aron. Will be interesting to hear if we should use it. I wonder about the bark, don't know if it should be removed before using.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can use it seasoned, unseasoned, with or without bark as a smoke source.
    You can use it seasoned, unseasoned, with or without bark as a smoke source.
    +1,  think it is all good. 
    From my limited understanding of fire blight, it can be in the roots without you knowing it, hence the whole tree was probably infected. Spread is usually by insect, so, smoke wood would be OK. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!