Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using platesetter

Options
carter422
carter422 Posts: 58
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just got my egg last week and it cooks great.  When do I put the platesetter in the egg?  While it is coming up to temp or after it has reached temp?

Comments

• calracefan
    Options
    Coming up, if you wait it will pull the temp down due to the large mass of cold ceramic. But if you don't mind waiting it reall shouldn't hurt anything.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Options
    I put mine in when I lite it, so coming up is my vote
  • GreenhawK
    Options
    I usually put mine in when I take the electric starter out.  
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • the_alchemist83
    Options
    I always put mine in after the flames go out on my starter cube(s).  That way it comes up to temp with the egg.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Coming up, if you wait it will pull the temp down due to the large mass of cold ceramic. But if you don't mind waiting it reall shouldn't hurt anything.
    +1
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    As you can see the rules of when to put in a plate setter are crystal clear, PLEASE DO NOT DEVIATE! YOUR EGG COULD EXPLODE!

In all seriousness all the above works, I like to put mine in after I light the egg and have removed my electric starter, easier to drop it in because the fire is not too hot yet. Whatever works for you..
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • AZbge
    AZbge Posts: 96
    Options

+1
    +2
  • carter422
    Options
    I put it in last night after my fire starter went out.  It was taking a while to heat up but it is a big piece of thermal mass.  I think the next time I use it I might start 2 cubes instead of 1 to help with the temp coming up.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    carter422 said:
    I put it in last night after my fire starter went out.  It was taking a while to heat up but it is a big piece of thermal mass.  I think the next time I use it I might start 2 cubes instead of 1 to help with the temp coming up.
    If you do not have an outlet close by, I can see using fires starter cubes, towels soaked in oil, etc... in a phrase, been there, done that. About ten years ago discovered an electric starter for use in my Weber, still have it, still use it. Between 6 and 8 minutes and the fire has started. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • AZbge
    AZbge Posts: 96
    Options
    carter422 said:
    Had the same problem until I started using a weed burner.  I only use the cubes now for slow and low.
  • carter422
    Options
    I didn't get the electric starter when I purchased my egg.  But I do need a few good birthday ideas.
    :D
  • Hoppy & Hoppette
    Options
    I always put mine in after the flames go out on my starter cube(s).  That way it comes up to temp with the egg.

Me too.....although I am no expert.

It just allows me to get to my beer quicker.